1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

GPS units

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by NAILIT, Oct 5, 2011.

1. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

What do some of you guys use for GPS? I've checked into some of the Garmin motorcycle specific units and they are pretty pricey! I don't plan on doing much traveling maybe a few weekend rides a year but a GPS would be nice to have and fun to mess around with...What I see is the Cycle specific models are rain proof and will handle the vibration... any thoughts?
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I don't use one , my -bro-law gave me one & it's under the back seat of my truck ,I use the point & go method :cool: ole cardboard know the best ones to use
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I agree, that is why i am looking at a diffeent phone that has a gps app available. I just looked at HD and they want almost 700 bucks for a system. That is jsut crazy!!!!:rant: I like gps, not so much for the going, but for the coming back part, unless I need to be at a specific place at a specific time, then I use it for go... I use my car gps a lot for when I am in the cities..
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

If I had to have one then either the Garmen like CB has or the Harley one but then I don't have to have one and won't. I'm sure either CB or HRK will give you some good pointers. :)
  5. cowboy

I would only use one around a city , don't try to use one out on the road /hwy they put you in places you never thought about & send you the long way there , or have a map to go with it
  6. FLHTbiker

A cell phone gps helps but can't really use it on the bike while riding. We did find that on several occasions on the trip I did back east that in the city the gps helped but on several occasions out in the country it would route us wrong. Got to be carful with em as there have been people where the darn gps told them to go a certain route only to wind up stranded in the snow. Wanted to take em the shortest route. A few that happened to here in Oregon some died. They are just a tool and you really need to know not only how to use them but also their limitations.
    I use a 105.00 Garmen in my vehicle for doing home inspections in certain neighborhoods finding some homes but I also print a map of the area from google maps just in case, yea I've needed to use those maps on more than one occasion.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

There are some distinct advantages to a GPS, specifically one mounted to and designed for motorcycles. The HD Roadtech is basically the Garmin Zumo Line and it has features that you will like, Buttons that can be depressed with a glove on, large Icons, all the dealer locations loaded (handy for a stop or if you need help)

The mounts from HD for these have wires that interface to the Radio, using HD's NIM (Nav Interface Module) the Road Techs have signals setup they send when they need to give you directions, the NIM sees this, cuts into your music, cb chatter, Ipod or Radio playing, gives the instructions and then allows the radio to return to normal function.

Off the shelf Garmins cannot do this NIM interface including the Zumo's it has to be a Road tech.

This is important if you like XM, or Radio or have an Ipod module hooked up to the Aux input for music in order to hear the GPS commands through your radio speakers or headset.

If you go non HD GPS then you need to hook it up to the Aux input and at this point you loose, CB, XM, Ipod, Radio use, so if you go this route you want a GPS that has
    the ability to play MP3 files if you like your tunes. Then the GPS will act like the HD and interrupt music play to give you a route change.

You still won't have the other radio features at the same time, and you will loose GPS
    routing by voice if you switch input to say CB to chat with someone you are riding with, and will have to convert back to AUX for the GPS.

If you don't care about prompts then any GPS will mount, just get a ram mount for the bars a 1 inch arm and the correct mount for your model, BTW Droid GPS routing smokes Iphones, and is free, if you have an Iphone you have to pay for true GPS routing. And even though CB uses the Mapping software that gives directions it's no
    where near a real GPS units functions. It doesn't signal turns, it won't tell you it's recalculating routes, its like having the google map page up on the phone and you
    have to read the instructions. JMO not safe or user friendly on a bike...

If you are budget minded find a zumo 550, older models sell for much less,
    the new 665 has XM, mp3, gps and weather built in along with blue tooth so you
    could run off it and have a J&M bluetooth headset in your helmet, and if you have a
    bluetooth phone, connect it together, take calls, listen to XM, get prompts so it's more than just GPS.

The other advantage is like my last trip, we used it to route, turned off highways, dirt roads etc, and it found some fantastic back roads that we'd never have taken, and it kept us on track to our destination...
  8. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

$4 will buy you a good road map.
  9. steveb

steveb Active Member

I use a cheap Garmin with a plug for ear buds and then I put it in my vest pocket and listen to directions.
  10. JohnnyBiker

That is a little inconvenient isn't it???:banghead::banghead:
  11. hotroadking

Especially when it rains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. cowboy

Why it's work for many years & a map is easy to read while your stopped for gas or pee , & that why you can look around at the great sites on roads sides :D
  13. FLHTbiker

Not at all JB like cowboy said it's worked for years and it can give you a broader picture many times. The maps you get through HOG are an excellent choice to carry with you even if you have a Gps.
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

there are a bunch of old schoolers on here...........and a bunch of techies.........ya gonna get answers from both.........just like the helmet issues............."let those that ride decide"................:D
  15. FLHTbiker

Amen to that, just don't leave home without your map:D:roflmao:
  16. hotroadking

Maps are fine, and you can haul them around,
    make notes, when and where to ride and turn
    and use them to plan routes.

GPS (expensive or cheapo) are good too,
    advantages are they remember your route (ya old farts
    know what I mean about remembering stuff LOL) turn where, shidt
    now I gotta go 20 miles back.... LOL

GPS helps you stay on route, and if you deviate, it will
    still help you get where you want to go, you don't have to stay
    on the route selected, just ride anywhere you want and it will
    still get you home/hotel/party.

GPS has gas stations, choke and pukes, HD dealers
    and one of my favorites, Known Enforcement, Speed Traps
    and camera light intersections, got a free POI (Point of INterest) file
    from Trapster dot com and input in the GPS.

Now when I roll up on one of these areas I get a popup on the screen and
    a verbal warning of the impending ticket zone...

Or it will tell me there's a DQ coming up for a quick snack...

I guess CB could put in Redneck Budweiser stops.....
  17. FLHTbiker

All good and fine HRK, however in Virginia when we were trying to get up to the Blue Ridge Parkway the darn GPS on my friends bike it kept taking us in the wrong direction. I finally got him to pull over to discover that we were way off tack. He said yea but this what the GPS said how to get there. We told him to shut it off. Got directions from a local minister who said "you boys done took a wrong turn, somewhere". Three hours later we arrived on the Parkway, where my sister in NC had told us about and how to get there. We simply used maps after that. Worked fine. We did use the GPS again trying to manuver our way through the road contraction in Salt Lake City.
  18. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

Wow thanks for the replies, I got sidetracked and could make it back to the forum until now... I will sort through these...
  19. NAILIT

NAILIT New Member

I know many times the GPS will take you off track...for instance it will try and take you on the freeway route instead of the scenic route. I thought you can program the GPS ahead of time with the roads you want to take? if not then the unit will continually try and route you to the expressways and major highways...
  20. JohnnyBiker

With this logic then you might as well use a map???:roflmao::roflmao::wtf: