1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

GREAT Days At The Pump

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Dec 10, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Man I will have to say that it doesn't hurt as bad when fuel is needed. Today I paid $2.33 per gallon! I sure hope that the trend keeps going the way it is. Thank You North Dakota!
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

thank you fracking
  3. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

now if only the diesel fuel would follow suite, damn shame its almost $1 more a gallon:mad:
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Diesel here at Fred Meyers was 2.66 yesterday. Reg was 2.77 but you can use your shopping points and get another 10C off per gallon.
  5. JohnnyBiker

Not sure what the diesel prices are currently here but it is stupid that it is more than red fuel.
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

That's because a diesel cars gets better mileage and truckers must use diesel and they pass it along in their prices so the o companies take advantage.
  7. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Gasoline up here at $1.10ish a litre right now, was at $1.40ish this past summer.
    Only bad thing is my investments are suffering a bit, and all the guys with high salaries out west will likely be getting layoff slips soon and coming home poor like the rest of us.
    But yes, it does feel good to be able to fill the truck again.
  8. Fatboy128

The circle of life continues. A few years ago the oil industry raised prices to the point my company (and all competitors) that produces petrol chemical products hit the skids and had to go through 3 rounds of layoffs in one year. I got caught in the third and haven't been able to get back I the industry. Now I collect SS and pick up occasional odd jobs.
    I find it hard to empathize for the oil people. So many of the population suffered due to the greed in the industry and the commodity speculators.
  9. JohnnyBiker

Gee. Can't we just be happy that there is a little breathing room at the pump?:rolleyes:
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  10. Fatboy128

I am, it makes my monthly pittance go a little farther. Reg 87 oct down to $2.84 gal now.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  11. Roadster guy

I am, and I agree it is good. But due to the cynicism in society today it makes me not be happy, only worry how I'll get screwed next. And yes, I am kidding, but only half! Sorry!
  12. Roadster guy

Sorry for the stupid question, but how does SS (Social Security?) work?
    We have CPP (Canada Pension Plan, for those over 67), and EI (Employment Insurance, for the working stiff who gets laid off, and is only good for a period of weeks if not abused). I've been on EI years ago for a short time due to a layoff and it helped me pay bills and stay alive until the next job came along. These programs are paid for through our taxes, like our Medicare, and are properly used by most, but abused by some. CPP and EI do not meet the levels of your usual pay, only a percentage of what you would earn employed.
    Sorry for the thread hijack.
  13. FLHTbiker

Once we put a Republican or someone who understands the importance of being oil independent from the Arab countries we will then see oil prices even lower. If we continue to let the Arabs dictate to use the price of oil we will remain to be under their thumb.
    I also agree that big oil companies profits are way out of control and should be regulated.
  14. Roadster guy

I seem to recall previous Republican governments pretty cosy with the Arab world. I think it is more corporate than political. And now I'll log out before this catches on fire!!! ;);););)
    And this is where a politics section here would be real handy...
  15. Fatboy128

In a nutshell the Social Security act was initiated by president Franklin Roosevelt. The SSAdmin takes a percentage of every paycheck and supposedly holds it for your future. Once a person is either 65 and not working or permanently disabled you can collect some of that money back in a monthly check. If you wait longer past 65 the amount goes up several hundred dollars.
  16. FLHTbiker

I agree with you from the past. Things are changing in our country, people are wanting changes from being dependent on Arab oil and many other things. The liberal people voted in a black president who promised change, they got change all right but it turns out that change is hurting us even more. Race relations in this country are now the worst it's been sense I can remember. For one higher fuel costs and lost jobs plus many other higher costs. Our fuel costs are still higher than it was when Bush left office. Obama now has the lowest rating of any other U.S president in history.
    There is so much greed in government I'm not sure it can ever be changed totally.
    Social Security was originally designed as a federal retirement system for all working people in this country. It has been so abused now that even illegal people coming to this country can get it, that one still boggles my brain. It's suposed to be based on what you contributed to it.
    I agree we do need a political section like many of the other forums on the net.
  17. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I have more gas now than ever but I don't think it's due to
    fracking, more likely the bean and cabbage soup....
    HarleysLR likes this.
  19. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

20. Roadster guy

Cool, like our CPP that they recently raised the age I think to 67 to for qualification.
    Do you guys see it as a benefit overall or do you resent the years of tax paid to have it? Is it clawed back if you were proactive and planned for your retirement yourself or is it at a set level depending on your contributions? Just wondering.