1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Gun Class

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Mar 7, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Well did my concealed class tonight for Oregon and the Utah permit.
    The Utah permit gives you 14 or more states to carry in. Utah had a record number of applications in December 08. Can we say Obamba boy factor there. Anyway there were almost 6,000 permits given in December the month before there were around 2,000.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i can believe it..........way up in texas also. harder to find ammo and weapons..........
  3. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Matter of fact, just got my handgun permit(s) today. Going out this weekend to pick up a couple new toys. Going for either the Glock 17 or 21 (only because the magazines that fit my Kel-tec match them) and I'm undecided on the other....Any suggestions? :D
  4. chucktx

the glock 40 is a sweet shooting handgun, tho a bit big for concealment.. i also have a keltec in 380......nice pocket gun..
  5. FLHTbiker

I really like my Colt Mustang Pocket 380 auto, very nice and can carry right in my pocket even with out a holster. Does not even show as a weapon either. But then I love my 9mm Beretta to.
  6. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I carry my Taurus Milinium Pro PT145..... bit on the bigger side, sub-compact.... but with a loose shirt, covers well. I would like to get a kel tec .380 or something similar for summer carry....but time will tell.....
  7. FLHTbiker

Here is my Colt pocket 380 auto

Attached Files:

8. chucktx

can ya put a quarter or something for a size reference???
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Got my CCP in FL

Talked with a bud waiting on his, agency said from Jan 1 they have had 95,000 applications for permits.

Got my Sig P250 40...
    Waiting on Sig to sell the sub compact conversion kit for it

Kel-Tec P3At is a made in the USA - here in FL
    Ruger LCP nice gun but several recals
    Ruger LCR will be nice mini 38 revolver

I like the S&W Airweight revolvers for carry....
  10. FLHTbiker

Here ya go

Attached Files:

11. chucktx

here is my kel-tek next to my cell phone....

Attached Files:

12. FLHTbiker

I think this one is smaller than yours...god what am I saying :D

I see your with Verizon to

Attached Files:

13. chucktx

rotflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. steveb

steveb Active Member

You guys are making me wonder if I should have one. I do not own any guns anymore. I haven't fot 15 yrs since I quit hunting. I have not eeven considered it until now . Makes me think I should get one while I can have no use for one right now but I may need something for defending the home place.
  15. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Interesting replies guys.....I only have 2 permits, so I'm limited right now, especially with $$$. I'm definitely going with either the 17 or 21 just because like I said the mags match, but as for the second one, I'm not sure. I never thought to apply for a carrying permit, not that I think I need to, but it's an interesting concept. Do you think I should, (before it's outlawed altogether) and how hard is it to get a carrying permit?

Anybody have any experience with the Springfield SIS Custom/RL? I saw one in the Handgun buyers guide for 2009 and it looked pretty nice, a couple different safety features, but the price tag was a little steep.....Retails for $1421.00. I think the LAPD is using them as a test group or something like that if I remember right.
  16. chucktx

chl's are not hard to obtain in texas, as long as your not a felon, deadbeat dad, legal citizen of the usa, can read and write english. 8 hr course with range time. they do a full state and fed background check, with fingerprints. i have carried a long time, but got my permit about 15 years ago....renewal every 5 years...havent ever used my gun in self defense, but you never know......
  17. FLHTbiker

Oregon's is only a 4 hour class and no range time required however someone who has never handled one should get personal instruction before going through the classes. We had two older women who wanted a semi auto, sheet they couldn't even pull the slide back and one of them tried putting the rounds in the wrong direction in other words so the primer is facing the barrel on a revolver, very scary. :gah:
    If you are carrying concealed without a concealed card even covered up in a auto you can get into trouble with the law. They want there money and I guess having the card must make them feel fuzzy all over. Besides when they pull you over it will automatically show up when they call in your drivers license number.
  18. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

To me it's a "better to have it & not need it, than need it & not have it" deal. Don't need a permit either - in N.C. you do for concealed carry, but you never have to carry openly. And to me, the permit deal is a bit counter-productive - used to see folks with a pistol on their hip all the time & nobody thought much about it - but it's not likely someone will try to rob a local store when many of the customers are armed & that's easy to see.

But even though you don't see folks carrying that much anymore, one reason the crime rate is so low in this area is it's common knowledge that most people have a firearm in their home or business. Key factors are the Sheriff says he prefers an armed public & the district attorney will not prosecute someone for protecting themselves, family, property, even a total stranger. Since the criminals know that, they stay in the city where most people are not armed & the DA probably will prosecute you for defending yourself, family, property.

With respect to the permit deal, friends of mine own a vending machine co. & have always been armed. They looked @ the concealed carry permit application & saw that WAY too much personal information was required so they didn't apply. And neither will I. If you have to get a permit or license to exercise a right it's not a right anymore - it's a "privilege" you have to pay for. And @ least here, you don't need a permit or license to keep a firearm in your home, carry a pistol on your hip, etc. & you don't have to "register" your firearms. Firearm registration, licensing, etc. is what tyrants like Hitler did & I won't have any part of it.

Back to the original point of having a firearm in the home, if you do, know how to use it, take proper care of it & everybody knows that, odds are you'll never have to use it. I'm never more than 10 feet away from a firearm with "one in the pipe" - click safety off, pull trigger - takes about 1/2 a second. My neighbors know that too. I can't stress proper training enough, but again, if folks know you have a firearm & will use it, odds are the only time you will is @ the target range.
  19. FLHTbiker

I don't think I would try carrying openly in NYC.

Get caught with a concealed gun in Oregon its an automatic go to jail. I think I'll get the permit and stay out of jail.
  20. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Kennesaw Ga......I can`t remember.....A few years back made it a law to have a gun?....Dang getting old...maybe someone else can remember how it was......

Alabama....in Dekalb Co. where I live....just get a permit..easy

Had mine in the truck in Maryland when I picked up gym equipment for my wife`s business a few years back....We planned to visit NY and Washington while up there.....Friend we were buying the equipment from advised me that I would never get back to Alabama if they caught me with the gun....permit or not!!!! We thought we would visit NY at some other time.......