1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

H-D 06 Ultra Classic Transmission Question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by diverreb, Apr 3, 2006.

1. diverreb

diverreb New Member

My bike is a few months old with 2500 miles on it. Since it was new, there has always been a noise that kind of sounds like a high pitched whine or whistle in fourth gear. It is much more pronounced (louder) at the higher RPM's (3000 and above), and only in fourth gear. I can always tell when it's in fourth gear.

The dealer told me it's "within spec" and will cause no damage to the transmission nor will it effect performance. I told him it's not normal if all the other gears don't have the noise and fourth does. They claim it's about tolerances and it's within the tolerance H-D deems acceptable.

Any thoughts here on what's causing it and is there a reasonable solution. It's not a killer, but sure annoy's the heck of me. Should they be responsible for a fix or do I just live with it?

Thanks...

Richie
  2. CD

CD Guest

4th gears tend to whine. In a lot of cases changing to a synthetic tranny lube like Redline or Amsoil or BelRay Hypoid will quiet it down.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

cd is right on the mark. i have an 06 electra glide and it whines.....it also clunks during gear changes after it is warmed up. it is pretty quiet when cold. the dealer put there "new" gear oil in it during the 1000 mile service....that helped a bit, but i am not happy. i will change to a heaver syn at the next service.....i think it will quiet it down.....as it is quiet when cold. have fun and i hope this helps a bit
    chuck
  4. Cracker

Cracker New Member

Had the same issue with my 05FLHT. Dropped out the primary and trans fluid and replaced both with full synthetic Redline. The primary with Redline MTL Manual Trans Lube and the trany with Redline heavy shockproof. Made a big difference, really helped with the hot weather loud shifts and did reduce the 4th gear wine also.

PS the HVY shockproof looks like thick tomato soup!:D
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

had a few Harleys over the years and on all of 'em, fourth gear whines. Got an ' 04 E-G. sounds like the flaps being moved on a 737.