1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

H-D "recomended tires" v stndard commercial

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by AZroaddust, Feb 13, 2008.

1. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Hello men and women, especilly Chucktx, Cowboy, and VYBR8ER. I thought it was time to get off the rear rotor wear thread and start a new one:

Acording to the Dunlop site, the D401 series tire is the ONLY one "recommended and approved by H-D". They even say they have a great alliance with each other. (Dunlop + H-D)

The D401 has the H-D name on the sidewall and costs about twice as much as I can get a D404 series for

Both have the same ratings (H), both are bias tires, same rim size etc.. The tread is a little different, but not by much. Both can be viewed on Dunlop's site.

SO, once again is it the H-D "fear factor" and the fact that they want to sell the tires that they recommend only their private branded tire, or would anyone out there have a problem using a D404 series on the front of a Sportster?

Thanks again,
  2. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

OK! I may have just got my own question answered. I called Dunlop. The Readers Digest Abridged version is:

D401 is made with different compounds and tread design in the USA.

The D404 is made with a softer different material and made in Japan and will not last as many miles.

The difference in price, especially if buying from other than a H-D dealer will be more than made up in longer life, riding stability, and peace of mind.

I can go with that.:)
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Shop around you can get better prices on the dunlop tires.

I ride on avons, jmo but they handle better the bike will turn in better and it's smoother/quieter ie less tire noise.
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

putting a new rear on mine at about 150.00 mounted with tube and liner, and I agree with hrk shop around just remember to find out by your indy or dealer if they will mount and balance it if you buy your tire else where.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

AZ D I run the metzler ME880 on my 03 E Glide To Me they handle better then the dunlop in the rain or on dry road's , I had dunlpo's on there once & did'nt care for them in the handaling department I got cought in the rain more then once & the bike was hard to keep straight where in the market to put the metzlers on my Daughters 04 sporty & the metzlers a just a few bucks more then the dunlops & a few bucks cheeper then the Avon's
  6. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I run Metz 880 front and rear, I like them so far.....
  7. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

I've run Metzlers for 20,000+ miles and they are a good tire. Traction, ride and handling. Hate the rear tire life. 7,000 miles on my '05 RKC.. I've gone to the Dunlop EIII. Only had it on for 300 miles or so, but it's nice. Tread pattern like the Metz and handles great!!! Dunlop says it should get 5 to 10% more milage than the D402. And it's Made in America!!! My $.02...
  8. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Thanks for all the input folks, especially those who suggested Metzler and/or Avons (Do I get free blush and lip liner with those or maybe they smell nice)? I had been wondering about them too.

I went to the H-D guy and all is well and we had a "love fest" almost.

Everbody's happy again!:roflmao:
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ya i know, im late............but i ran the 404's,402's and now running eliete 3. the 3 seems to be outlasting the others. i only got 8k out of the others on the same bike,,,,with the same riding style and weight......:)
  10. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

According to Dunlop, the 404's are Nipponese in manufacture and made with a softer-faster-wearing rubber.

During WWII, why did Japan invade Malaysia? Why to get rubber to make cheap motorcycle tires of course! :rolleyes: No rubber trees in Japan.

FYI:

> Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding Dunlop replacement
    > tires for your '95 H-D Sportster. While the physical dimensions of a D404
    > and a D401 may be very similar to one another, they have very real
    > differences in construction, performance, and grip. We strongly recommend
    > the use of the Dunlop D401 in order to achieve the proper performance and
    > stability required for this vehicle. The Dunlop D404 will NOT handle
    > properly and may wear out prematurely if/when used on this vehicle.
    >
    >
    >
    > "Dunlop Tire"
    > <website@dunlopmo
    > torcycle.com> To
    > awittmeyer@dunloptire.com
    > 02/12/2008 10:19 cc
    > PM
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

what they said is my experience also......still testing the eliete3....but so far it seems to be out preforming the original and others i had on it.....:)
  12. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

HotRoadKing, I checked at Avon's site, and I can't figure out what choices would be best for my 2003 Sportster. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I was at Queens Harley today and Frank ( a really helpful parts guy) said he'd have my tires checked. Even though mileage is low ( 2600), he said if the tires are original, they're now 5 years old and might need changing.
  13. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

it's good to hear you and the steeler are getting along and he would be correct on tire conditon @ 5 yrs if'n the bike sat for an extended period, if'n the sun hardened the rubber, weather checked, etc. so if the dealer recommends new tires, have them show you why, with a new one right next to it you will learn something about tires or see if the mans trying to get to your wallet.
  14. cowboy

i agree with ironhorse , after reading all you post it seems you found a dealer who think's you are worth keeping , & not just dumb guy they can take money from
    just ask your parts guy to take the new tire & put it next to the older one & show you the difference & if your tires are 5yrs old save you live & get them change :eek:
  15. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Thanks guys. I do feel like the dealer is thinking longer term and not looking at me like a six foot wallet. He mentioned he'd have the tires looked at and sounded more concerned about safety than just making a sale. You can hear it in their voice when they're bull*hitting. He gave it a quick once over, reached for the starter, jiggled it and it was loose, which I think he expected. He said I'll have that tightened up for you. It'll probably take one minute and save me from a future hassle.
  16. cowboy

yep it does sound like you found a good dealer & not a rip off artist aka HD dealer There are some real dealer around the country & there are some real bad ones as well we have about 5 HD dealers in the area I only like going to one of them & one I have not had the pleasur of getting to yet
  17. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I'll post about my first dealer experience when I get my bike back next week. I feel like I sent my kid to the hospital and I'm waiting for the doctor''s report ;)

Still wonder what model Avon tires might be good for a Sporty, anyone??
  18. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

HOT01 was just in your shoes earlier this winter when she moved to the rockies and had it at the dealer getting reborn a couple hours away, but she got her back and sounds like she loves it so hang in there and you will be back in the saddle again shortly
  19. cowboy

hellboy hope you kid's alright , just type in avon tire's & start looking around they shoud have a fitmet chart on there I know metzler does on there site
  20. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

don't let your guard down, seen this before, they're likely just sizing you up:devil: