1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Had Some Work Done

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, May 31, 2015.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

A couple of weekends ago, Hot Rider and I went for a ride to a place called Duffy's. Were first discovered this place during a trip to South Dakota on the Suzuki and ever since then we go there a few times per summer. When We left our home, the weather wasn't the greatest. It wasn't raining but it was cloudy and in the upper 60's. Well, we ended up in rain which it always seems to happen to us these days. The weather turned severe. After we ate, we started back for home going about 15 miles out of our way in an attempt to avoid further bad weather turned fruitless. Hot Rider and I enjoyed about 70 miles of 40 mph of waterlogged riding. :mad:

Once we got back to our city, we stopped for a pack of smokes and a guy who helped to be behind us also pulled into the gas station walked up to me and said that I had a tail light that was blacking out periodically. At the time, it was working. So we started for home and I asked Hot Rider, if she could, see if the light was on or not. Sure enough, about 600 feet away from the gas station, it went black and it never came back on.

The next day I put the bike on the lift, removed the saddle bag (left) and started to look to see if I could see anything wrong without removing the wheel. I couldn't. I started to suspect that the wiring for the lights was shot. (I will explain my thoughts on that a bit later). Now I don't mess with electrical stuff and am pretty stubborn to learn it. I had an appointment scheduled for a thorough going through by Derek. So I ordered up some new lights and let him have at it.

This is what we did. 1. We took my Perelli Night Dragons off and put on Dunlop American Elites. 2. Went through the brakes and fixed anything that needed it. Nothing did. 3. While the tires were off, we checked wheel bearings. The rear ones were replaced. 4. I had Derek or Bruce install my new taillights. Now this was the most difficult job. We had to take my old ones off carefully or we could have damaged my fender or take too much paint off.
  2. JohnnyBiker

The lights are from Custom Dynamics out of North Carolina. They are called "plasma rods." My previous lights were only 8" long. I decided that I needed more light so I went with 12". They fit perfectly! I never completely loved my previous 8" lights, and for good reason. Here's why. When whoever installed the 8" lights, they didn't wire then in to be used as the brake, running and turn lights. It is most likely because the capability wasn't available. Also, my turn signals were these little ass L.E.D's located on my plate bracket. Very difficult to see. Because of those, I have become very familiar with hand signals, especially on interstate and in city traffic. So I purchased lights that are capable of having brake, running and turn signals ran through the plasma rods. Much nicer and most of all, MORE SAFE!

Part of the reason why I took the Perelli Night Dragons off is because I didn't like fact that we had to shift the rear wheel over to the left in order for them to fit. Because we had to do that, the rear wheel also was rubbing the wiring harness for the 8" plasma rods. Derek showed me the wiring job of these lights and I honestly believe I would have done a better job wiring those in. IT WAS HORRIBLE! So, my 70 miles of waterlogged riding and having a rear tire that was rubbing on the harness spelled doom for the left side light. A blessing in disguise I believe. I suspected that my tire was rubbing on the wiring for sometime because the light would sometimes flicker or flutter while idling but would settle down after I put the choke in. With the new lights, there is more area, and are much much brighter too. Money well spent.

Thanks for reading.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

You get started working on electrical and you'll find that most of it is pretty easy and straight forward.
    I like the Dunlop Elite II tires. Ran them for years on the older tires and always got good mileage out of them.
    Post a pic of the new rear light.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

It's shocking how easy electrical can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  5. JohnnyBiker

I will today sometime.:cool:
  6. JohnnyBiker

I have to say that so far, I really miss my Perelli's. They handle so much nicer than these American Elites that I just put on.
  7. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Two top tires are the Michelin Commander II and the Pirelli tires.
    They seem to be rounded more and ride a lot better than the American Elites
    I bought a set of the American elites and had about 2000 miles on them and was going on a trip.
    I ordered some new tires and gave the american elites away.
    I was very unhappy with them.
  8. JohnnyBiker

I could tell the difference immediately in the handling. After my trip I may do the same as you and just take them off and sell them.
  9. FLHTbiker

How many miles did you get on those Pirelli tires"
  10. hotroadking

Well I wouldnt buy either to replace my Dunlaps...

Neither makes a tire that will handle the load on
    and HD touring bike, watch the ratings for weight,
    they make them to fit the rims but the rims are for
    sport bikes at 400 pounds not heavy cruisers at 900 pounds.

I have 44K on the bike and I got close to 20k on
    the second set both front and rear

The new Dulaps for the newer bikes are rounded
    so they corner very well, quiet and smooth, they are
    dual compound tires, soft corners and firm center.
  11. FLHTbiker

I was going to bring up the weight rating as that is a very important factor. The weight rating is something that's very important and something that many don't look at very close.
  12. cardboard

The michelin commander II seem to stick to the road better and they stay ROUNDED longer.
    The Dunlops and Elites get a flat place in the center of the tire faster.
  13. FLHTbiker

Bull on that one. The Dunlop's on my 14 stick to the road better than those Frechies you use. I ran Elite tires for years and never got flat spots, but then I always checked my tire pressure and made sure it was at the correct setting.
  14. wet4aline

wet4aline Member

I wouldn't give one dollar of mine to the French. Ef them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. hotroadking

Duble BS, my dunlaps on the 09 and the 11 are
    rounded, handle great, quiet, and get long miles,

I"ve run Avons on my softail, they are better than the old
    Dunlap 402's but the new bikes don't have the old square tread
    402 pattern..

Plus Michelins are made by Frogs in a muslim country...
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  16. cardboard

I don't give a Rats ass who they are made by. Most of the parts on the Harley are made somewhere else.
    The center of the tires was what did not stay round.
    And on my 11 with the tire being wider it was worst.
    When the center got to where it was not round. It was like you got up on the edge of a car tire when you went into the curves.
  17. FLHTbiker

Put the proper amount of air in it dude.
  18. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

The dual compound tires the be putting on the new bikes are the best and are getting more miles per tire. I'l be sticking with those.

Good job Johnny biker.
  19. JohnnyBiker

Have any of you run the Pirelli Night Dragons? I am curious how you can all say that this tire or that tire is better than this tire or that tire without ever trying them? My experience with Dunlops is that I think that they suck, I like the mileage better but performance of them SUCK!
  20. FLHTbiker

Come and ride the roads out here in the Pacific Northweat then tell me which tires suck. We don't have many straight roads at all. The one tire I know I'll never ever run again is a Metzler. Mine shredded and left me stranded on a holiday weekend along the coast one year. Only had 4,000 miles on it to. Avon tire I had would never wear out as the dammmm tire kept splitting at the sidewalls and the dealer kept replacing them. Finally put a Dunlop back on it and it rode perfect.
    Put Dunlop's into high speed corners and never had any issues with them.

Come out here to the Pacific Northwest Johnny and Maddog and I will put you through some twisters like you've never experienced before, we run nothing but Dunlop's.