1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Handlebar control upgrade.

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tommyc, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Hi all, I am upgrading my handlebar controls from the earlier than 1996 controls to the newer 1996 and later controls.
    The wiring colors changed between the 2 different designs. Does anyone have a list of what the old wire colors and what the new wire colors are and how they match up?
    I need to match the new wire colors to the old wire colors. I have seem the list before but I can't find it now.
    Thanks guys!
    :gah:
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

This is a familiar question to most here, but do you have the service manual for your bike? It should be in there, and it certainly will remain helpful after the wiring change.
  3. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I have service manuals for both my bikes. I have a 1983FXE and a 1970FXWG
    I don't however have a service manual for a 1996 year bike which is the year of the new switches and wiring I am attempting to install on my 1970 FXWG.
    I'm sorry maybe I didn't explain myself enough.
    Can anyone else help me?
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i may have the diagram on a pdf file......it is on my other puter. i will check tomorrow...
  5. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Thanks Chuck!
    Here's the bike I am put the 1996 hand controls on. Now I'
    m doing the same upgrade to my 1970 FXWG. The new chrome housings with black switches look great, especially on an older bike!

Attached Files:

6. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

nice looking bike
  7. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Thank you sir!
  8. chucktx

i dont have the 96 diagram, but, a friend has that year manual and i will see about getting it from him.....should be in this evening.....a truck driver....
  9. chucktx

found it.....transfer to paintshop to enlarge....

Attached Files:

10. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

For the signals you'll have to clip the pigtail from the starter circuit on one side and from the horn circuit on the left side on the 96-up handlebar harness and splice a line in to run to your signals(green on my '90)
    What I did when I converted the '90...(82-95 controls to 96-up) I just looked at the old controls wiring to get what color was for each switch and matched it up to the new switch harness...I found they were basically the same except the 96-up harness had a stripe in the wire...eg. blue on the old harness for the high beam was blue/white on the new harness.
    I'm going to do this upgrade on the '78 1/2 too which would be the same switches as on your '70...
    I'll be going up there in the next day or two so I'll check it out and see what I can come up with for you on color codes....
  11. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Thanks guys.
  12. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

13. Lucifer

Good luck...have fun...I'm starting in on the '78 this weekend...it's getting a complete rewire from stem to stern...gotta NOS main harness for it... just not sure which way I'm going with it yet...stay stock or go newer:confused:....keep us posted on your controls..:):devil:
  14. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

I would go with the newer style controls (1996 and newer). They look and work better and use the Deutsch connectors also. They go together very easily and they are water tight (kinda). You can find them on ebay or J&P Cycles. You will need the terminal crimper for the pin and sleeve terminals. Get the crimper from J&P cycles for $26.99 part #910-118. It works for all types pin and sleeve terminal connectors. It was worth every penny of the $27. I used it 3 bikes now.
    I got the right side done last night and everything is working fine. I will get the left side done tonight and then get the gas tanks back on. I bought new tanks, sealed them with KREEM sealer and had them freshly painted along with new H-D emblems too. Wow this bike is gonna like great!! I will post pics soon! I am waiting for my new grips and master cylinder to arrive to finish the project.
  15. Lucifer

Yeah, I'll probably go with the deutch connectors, I want to get rid of the ceramic terminal block under the nacelle and I have a box of 96- m/c's and switch housings I bought a couple of years ago...gotta awful mess of wiring there right now with splices here and there and more between the tanks which were causing shorting problems...so it's getting all ripped out and redone with no splicing.
  16. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

That's what I did and its the best way to go. Rip it all out and replace with new.
    Make notes so you know which wires go where. I can get confusing.
    I did ALL new electrical!, switches, wires, buttons, and all!
    Good luck sir!