1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Handlebar pullbacks

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bdfin, Mar 4, 2008.

1. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Anybody installed them on their ride ? I wouldn't mind having mine back about 2 more inches. Can you move them that much and still not have to get extended control cables ?
  2. alexb

alexb New Member

If your only looking at 2 inches then what you have now should work.
  3. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Well I guess I should re phrase that. I'd like them back about 2 more inches after already loosening and bringing them back some already. They will start to lower if they come back anymore without a different riser and it would look weird too. I just figured someone here has put different risers on some bars sometime, somewhere, looking for an opinion on their results.
  4. Harleyjeff

Harleyjeff New Member

Did that once on a '76 Yamaha I had. However, I had problems with the clutch cable becoming too short and replaced the clutch cable to compensate. Felt great though being able to lean back a bit while the wind rushed at the face and chest.
  5. tonyb42863

tonyb42863 New Member

handle bars been there

I just installed new bars on my 07 Road King. went to the local harley shop.53 bucks. stock handle bars off of a softtail herigate. i just bought the bars. the cables and wires fit like a glove.the rise was 4'' inches and the pull back was 3''inches
    the tip to tip was 31'' inches. go the the harleydavidson dealer web site in your town and look at handle bars and they will show tou a chart with the part #s and compare.
  6. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

I put 4 1/2" risers with a 1 1/2" pull back on my '95 Sportster. The stock handlebars had a real short maybe a 1" riser with no pullback. What a difference!

I used to have to ride hunched over, but now ride straight up. I also "rolled" the handle bars back a skosh so they aren't parallel to the ground but slant back and make the grip even more comfortable.:) In my case the speedometer and indicator lights were mounted on the handle bars. With the pullback they stared at my belly, (hard to see) so I moved them to mount on top of my headlight hood on two SS round stock extensions and the angle is perfect.

If interested, check out E bay. I bought the genuine H-D risers that for all intents and purposes were new for somewhere around $18-$22 including shipping. WAY less than what H-D wants. I see different sizes listed all the time.
  7. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Thanks guys, Tonyb....so you changed the bars and had that much rise and pullback and didn't have to change cables....hmmmm very interesting I might have to look a doing the bars instead.
  8. fujimo

fujimo New Member

change

before you buy anything,,,better measure,,, some of the bikes do NOT have enough slack for anything past stock,,, just did a ultra,,, no way,,,road king no way,,, but maybe bars you are looking at are different,,, measure first,,,pops
  9. cowboy140

cowboy140 New Member

Just a note on the pullback risers. I put some 4 in. with 2 in pullback on my '95 Fat Boy that I got really cheap on ebay.
    I was backing it out of the garage and it started leaning over a little bit. I pulled it back up straight with the handle bars ...
    one of the cheap risers snapped! Almost dropped the bike. Lucky it happened in the garage not hammerin' down the highway. I bought a pair of more expensive forged risers and have had no problems with them so far.
    As far as fit I just had to bend the brake line a little bit. The cables were fine.
  10. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

AZ, you're inspiring me to think about adding a few inches to my stock Sportster bars. I'm 6'5" and could use a bit higher bar.
  11. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

You will probably wonder how you got along without them!

I originally had the bars themselves canted down in the back for a kool look, but last week I rolled them back up flat which gave me another 2" or so and I just love the ride.

I'm shorter than you so you might want something higher still, or use elkhorn bars with the 4 1/2" risers, but if you do either of these you may be looking at new cables etc. :gah: I was lucky because whoever had the bike before me had longer than required cables already on it. :D (Heed fujimo's advise).

Have fun!
  12. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Will do AZ, thanks.
  13. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

hey hellboy, some 18" apes should give you plenty of stretch in the arms:roflmao: but as far as the pullback risers, I wouldn't recomend it in your situation, just some strait 6" risers.
  14. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

If I ever get my bike back :rolleyes: I've got a few changes in mind and think 4"-6" up and a little tilt back would be great if I can do it without having to lengthen cables. No rush though, I'll try to enjoy the summer riding season first. My wife just broke her arm really badly and is going in for surgery Monday, so I've got my hands full for a while anyway.
  15. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

A pair of deuce risers or older FXR's will have about 4"rise and 1.5" pullback,and they're not too hard to find. Beware the cheap aftermarket ones, in most cases you get what you pay for. the deuce have a 2 piece clamp but the FXR's use the most common type top clamp.
  16. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Would they fit a 2003 Sportster?
  17. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Yeah, 1/2"x 13 is pretty much the standard for riser bolts. Reuse your own riser bolts and bushings.If you check on Ebay search "harley risers" will give you a visual of them. There are some duece "style" there and FXR risers.FXR risers would be my first choice 'cause you can reuse your top clamp. I would stay away from any risers that don't have the top clamp bolt holes threaded all the way thru,way too easy to strip if you bottom the bolt and try to tighten them a little more.All the HD risers are tapped all the way thru, check your own.:devil:
  18. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Thanks Lucifer. I should have my bike today or tomorrow. Two weeks and counting, and it took 12 days before someone bothered to call around and look for the part I need before putting me on a back-order list and telling me it'll be here in July. More like customer "disservice" I'd say..

I'll ask about risers when I pick it up, just to see what HD says.
  19. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

20. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member