1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Handlebars, AAARRRRGH!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Red Rider, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

OK, new FLHCS bike with stock bars. Yeah, they work and don't look bad, but I gotta make Cherry (this bike's name) my own. Really like Todd's Cycle 14" Gloss Black Strip bars, but figuring out what cables I will need is causing my brain to overheat. I want to stay with black cables, but I haven't found a replacement kit that will confirm it will fit my ride.

There is the other thing that gets me: handlebar measurements. I get that crossbeam/base width measurement easy enough, but the rest are fuzzy to me. Pullback? And how can I measure bars tip-to-tip if they already have controls on 'em? Grrr.

There is a solution, and that is to just go to the H-D dealer and get the Fat Chizeled mini-apes installed, as they do look better than stock and shouldn't require new cables, but I want more different than that...or at least I think I do.

Thoughts? Help? Or should I just release the Kraken rum and worry about after a few thousand more miles?

Ordering the Mustang Wide Tripper seat already.
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Was gonna suggest Paul Yafee bars but he don't make bars for the flhcs.

Might should consider releasing the kracken and riding with them for at least a season. If you end up not liking then you can say you gave them a shot. Or you know what you like by now and swap 'em out.

The moco ranted and raved about the uniqueness of the factory 2015 ultra low handle bars and grips being more user freindly. Pulled back and down closer to the rider and the benefits of the narrower grips.

Hated to replace a perfectly good pair of bars! I mean its not a cheap swap these days. So I rode them for a solid 2 years. Just did not like them. Swapped them out for a pair of bagger nation 8" monkey bars. PERFECT. Takes angle off the wrists. Arms at comfortable height for me.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Red Rider likes this.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Cables are sold in stock +1, +2, +3 etc.

Contact Phil he knows bars and cables and can get you set straight
    on what you need.
    Red Rider likes this.
  4. Red Rider

Phil?
  5. hotroadking

California Phil. He owns a shop in Kansas, good friend. He’s a member here doesn’t get to post much. He’ll get you bars cables etc right size and good price 785 243 9991
  6. Red Rider

Alright, HRK, I think ya sold me. If I don't get the bars before my major ride this summer, I'll plan on stopping by in Concordia to get the bars installed. My new seat gets here Friday; riding that will determine how soon I want to change bars.
  7. hotroadking

Well, call him before you leave so he's got the right stuff LOL

BTW have you ridden at night with the LED bulbs. Big time difference.

If you think about putting LED turn signals on it, (a big help in visibility)
    Custom Dynamics makes great plug n play LED units, I run them on the RG
    and they really improve your visibility to others. Not that red isn't bright LOL

https://www.customdynamics.com/probeam-squareback-led-taillight?cat=783

https://www.customdynamics.com/vehi...ing/led-turn-signals/probeam-led-turn-signals

great service, great product, excellent warranty, I had one LED go out, they shipped out a new set that I had in a few days.
    Red Rider likes this.
  8. Red Rider

Haven't done any nightriding yet, as I've always avoided it unless I was iron-butting or really in a hurry to get somewhere. One of the top things about riding is the view, and dark is just dark. I did put LED headlight in the old King, and yeah, that was a wake-up for improvement. I'll try it out tonight and look to be amazed!
  9. hotroadking

yeah I wouldn't ride a bike without LED's anymore...

We were rolling through the deep country of South GA trying to
    get to our hotel, it was so dark, that black in the country Jason's
    waiting around the corner dark. Couldn't see shit with HID's

Put on LED's when I got back and it's a game changer as they say.
    Red Rider likes this.
  10. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I also converted the ol Fatboy to LEDS.
    Yesterday did my first ride of the season. Rode with a few buddies and did 200 miles (yeah, on Long Long Island its possible!) Went out to Montauk point (south Fork or for you others the SOuthern point of the fish tail) for lunch then over to Sag Harbor ferry to Shelter Island, then to the North Ferry to the North Fork (North fish tail tip) to Greenport then home. Most of the way back roads. We started at 42 F and finished at 65 F. Those new heated grips were WONDERFUL! I should have done them years ago.
    Red Rider likes this.
  11. hotroadking

Glad you can finally get outta da house
  12. badinfluence63

Nice! Lucky you. Won't be able to do that another month anyways.
  13. Red Rider

Rode it in the night: new lights are really amazing. Still shopping for bars, stock ones just aren't perfect for me - tolerable, but will be replaced. Can't comprehend why it costs over $1,500 for cables and installation, especially since the "Fat Chizeled" replacement bar's add brags about having Harley's "Bar & Shield plugs that simplify wiring"! Without it, would it cost more than the bike? :wtf:
  14. badinfluence63

Friend of mine is having paul yafee bagger bars put on at the dealer tomorrow. I'll ask how much when hes done.
    Red Rider likes this.
  15. Red Rider

ABS adds a bunch of labor...yippee!...I feel like every advancement in bike safety is designed to keep ya safe by taking more cash from your pocket - so you can ride less.:banghead
  16. hotroadking

My guess is these bars require new clutch and brake cables/lines which means more
    than just bolting on the bars and running the wires through them. The info on HD web site tell you that you need to buy more parts to do the install.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/217623?locale=en_US

You also have to remove everything including the exhaust and
    transmission cover, drain trans, primary cover, new fluid in trans
    gaskets reinstall trans cover, adjust clutch, remove and replace brake lines and replace fluid and bleed brakes, not to mention run wires through
    the bars, It's a lot of work.

If you can get a set you like that doesn't require clutch and brake line
    replacement you'll cut the bill big time and you can do it yourself.
    Red Rider likes this.
  17. badinfluence63

The yafee 8" bars are just a pinch below to near shoulder height and do not recquire added cables...use stock. 10" and higher do. Friend took his Yaffee 10" bars to a dealer who said hecwouldn't need cables. Guess what...he needs cable extensions. He was all excited thinking he's gonna ride his new bars this afternoon. Instead its setting in the dealercwaiting for cables to be delivered.

I've had both 8" and 10". I found 10" higher then i wanted. Maybe because i am shorter than you are RR is maybe why 8" is good for me and 10" might be good fot you. To bad you can't sit on similar bike to see which would be best fit?
    Red Rider likes this.
  18. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

It would be a B__tch to spend all that dough and to find out that you should have gone higher OR lower! A few years ago I took off the stock bars on my fat boy and went with 8" mini apes. I rode for a season and took them off went back to stock. Initially they felt great but after a while I began to hate the way the bike handled with them. Fortunately the cables and all else worked with them. It was an easy job compared to todays bikes.
    Red Rider likes this.
  19. badinfluence63

Ya,i remember when a handle bar was 65$, thats including the handle bars.....
    Red Rider likes this.
  20. hotroadking

I talked with Phil today asked him about it, said that LA Choppers makes a bar conversion kit, https://www.dragspecialties.com/products/?productId=526136&partNumber=06620494 everything but the bars retails at $370, Todds Bars are about $300, so that's $670 at full retail just for you need to do the swap and get the height you want.

You could get the parts and find a local shop that's decent and pay the labor to get it installed, before ordering give them a shot at pricing the parts and labor.

Or DIY, it's not hard like the old bikes with tons of wires, the new bike is CANBUS so there's only 4 to 6 wires on each side, Call Phil for prices on the Bars and kit

Softails are not baggers, so if you can turn a 10mm you should be able to do the work...
    Red Rider likes this.