1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hard finding Neutral

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by deweylsmith, Sep 4, 2007.

1. deweylsmith

deweylsmith Active Member

Heres my problem. After running for awaile, I stop at a light. I cannot find neutral. I fumble trying to find it, windup just holding the clutch in. If I am moving, I find neutral right away. If I am at a place where I can turn off the bike, It goes right into neutral. This does this if I just started the bike or have been running awhile. Is this an adjustment? or is this a bigger issue. I have gotten used to going to neutral before I stop.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

finding neutral before stopping is a good thing, but if you cant get it into neutral when stopped, it is probably a clutch adjustment. this is an easy thing to accomplish and is covered in detail in your service manual....have fun!!!:)
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I would start by checking the tran's fluid & then read up on the adjustment
  4. deweylsmith

Thanks guys, Been reading up on it.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Check your primary chain tension as well, if it's too tight finding N is hard.

Readjust the chain and re adjust the clutch.

Also I think you have the older style clutch pack with the two plates that sandwich springs between them. If so, and the springs start to go, then N is hard to find, you'll eventually find you need to adjust the clutch again and shifting will get to be darn near impossible.

You can upgrade the clutch pack with the newer clutches if you have this setup, it's simply a replacement of clutch plates.
  6. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

They like going into neutral much, much, much, better when you are still moving (and the trans pully is still turning the main shaft) then they do after you are stopped! Add the M6 and gear lube in the trans, not oil, and it will be as good as it can get, but it will still like it much better if you are still moving while shifting to neutral!
  7. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Over filling your primary will make it hard to find neutral also.
  8. deweylsmith

You have given me a few things to check. Thanks I will let you know what I find.
  9. bcnasty

bcnasty New Member

As was mentioned two major things are clutch adjustment and primary chain adjustment with the primary chain being the biggest culprit. I have found that Harley Syn is not very good in the primary and either B&M trick shift fluid or Redline MTL to be a lot easier on finding nuetral.
    Just my two folks
    BC
  10. deweylsmith

Thanks, Maybe I will try that. I have always used HD Syn in everything.
  11. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I have never had a hard time finding neutral. On my '03 Sporty or my '96 FLSTC. Guess I'm a lucky one...:)
  12. Hugo

Hugo New Member

I agree with ringo some times its as simple as over filling. good luck.:gah: