1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hard Shifting

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dukeofdirt, Jul 23, 2007.

1. dukeofdirt

dukeofdirt New Member

I started riding an '04 FLHR about four months ago, and have been trying to
    sell my '95 Fatboy, without success. Yesterday I decided to take the F.B.
    for a ride, and the first thing I noticed was how much harder it was to shift
    than the R.K. Also, "finding" neutral was a bit difficult. Granted, until the R.K.
    showed up, I had owned the F.B. for 12 years and put 52K on her and didn't
    have any other point of reference. Would the F.B. be that much "tighter" to
    shift, or is there something wrong. I've been on the R.K. for about 3,000
    miles so my "feel" for the F.B. kinda went away. What do y'all think?
    Thanks, in advance,
    Ron
  2. duke76

duke76 New Member

Any evo motor that I have driven has always shifted harder than a twin cam I have no idea what that has to do with the transmission but that is the way it is for me anyway.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

here is what has happened.....while you were riding your fatboy, hd came along and started putting "easy clutches" in the newer bikes. there is nothing wrong, they just made it eaiser for us to pull the clutch in. i have a 65flh with the mouse trap....nearly 25 years on that bike....got an 06 flht....went to pull the clutch in on the 65 and thought i would break my hand!!!!:)
    have fun and stay safe
  4. dukeofdirt

dukeofdirt New Member

Thanks guys...glad it's not just me. The difference between the two is
    remarkable. I still love the Fatty, but, she's a dinosaur compared to the TC.