1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hard Starting

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jazzhog, Apr 25, 2008.

1. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

I own a 2001 FLSTFI I have a 95 inch upgrade with a 203 SE cam I'm also running a power commander. Lately I've been having trouble starting. It seems to just crank a lot before it starts. some times I have to put a boost to get it started and lately it's been happening when the bike is hot also.

I had to replace the battery last year I went with a big boar for more cranking power I'm afraid that I'm going to burn out the starter.

Any feedback will be very helpful.
  2. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

I'm no help with the power commander or electronic fuel injection, but something may be amiss there, as in the engine's set too lean to start right up. Even fully warmed up you need a pretty rich mixture for starting.

And with repect to heat, I do know that electronic ignition modules do not like it - they will screw up when they get too hot, then work fine again when they cool back down. A simple way to test that is when the engine seems to be running fine, take a hair-dryer to the ignition module & see what happens - the engine may start mis-firing or just die. If the engine starts back up after the module has cooled down, replace the module.
  3. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

You may be right on the lean part because I just put on a set of Bassani pro street pipes and I only ran the bike for a few blocks and the pipes showed some discoloration. Also the bike just died on me about 7 blocks from my home no power no juice then the gages lid back up.

The fuel injector setup does not have an electronic ignition module it runs with an ECM electronic control module. Thanks for the tip it may be the mapping on the power commander I will check it.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would check the simple things first

Is the battery fully charged
    will it hold a load (take it to a auto parts store they will do a load test for free)
    Check the cables, be sure they are connected tight and you have a good ground, there should be a star washer under the ground to frame cable.

Be sure the pos cable on top of the starter is snug (don't overtighten)

Check plugs and plug wires for cracks or cuts.

Check all connections clean with electrical contact cleaner, put die-electric grease on connections before reassembly.

Even if the bike is lean it should run, a set of bassani's are not going to lean it out so far it wont start.
  5. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

I checked all the connections on the battery they seem to be fine. The bike has good cranking power this problem began last season and it just seem to had gotten worse.

It also did the same thing with my other pipes.
  6. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

I am familiar with the Bassani Pro Street pipes (for Sportster) & they will for sure make the engine run lean with a fuel system not designed to compensate for increased exhaust flow. With a carb it's a rather simple matter of re-jetting, but I don't have the knowledge or experience with the EFI to get into "re-mapping" the fuel delivery curves.

But you can be sure that needs to be done & while you're @ it, if you haven't improved the air-cleaner setup over stock, do it now, since that will affect the A/F ratio too.
  7. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I would agree with hrk I would pull a plug an ground it and crank it and check the spark on each one to assure a good strong spark if it is weak start working back, then make sure you are pumping fuel if not or nil, then work the problem,.... squeeze the fuel and add a spark you should get a bang, as long as your timing is ok but you should more than likely get a back fire at that.
  8. fujimo

fujimo New Member

bassani

i would look at some thin electrical,,,battery wire etc,,, i have pro stock bassani,,,,runs really rich ,,,have to adjust idle side to 2 bars up from bottom,,,so do not believe puipes are problem,,, pops
  9. duke76

duke76 New Member

I am no expert on pc3 but have heard of the hard starting on a few occasions, what the guys did was, when you turn on your key switch, dont wait for the fuel pump to quit running before you crank it, as soon as you move your switch start cranking. If that doesnt do it I would be apt to think your wonderful Magnetti Marelli fuel injection is giving you fits. Try it out and let us know. Todd
  10. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

I think you might be right Todd, I just spoke to tech support at PC and they told me the same thing about no waiting for the fuel pump process. They also gave me a different map for my set up I'll try it this weekend. Thanks, "Jazz":D
  11. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Scaned for codes

Yesterday I received my twin scan 88 scanner from Daytona Sensors. I scanned the fatboy and I got a few codes
    PO117 ET sensor Voltage low
    PO261 front injector open/low
    PO263 rear injector open/low
    PO373 CKP sensor intermittent

TSSM current None
    TSSM historic None

Does anyone knows what these codes are? And also are they critical will they cause a starting problem?

Any advice will very helpful...:banghead:
  12. duke76

duke76 New Member

In your earlier posts you talked about having to boost to get to start, that would cause all the low voltage codes, also the crank positon sensor might cause hard starting but usually runs crappy along with it, the crank position sensor is very easy to damage while you are changing the oil filter, also check the wires right there on the sensor. you could swap out the crank sensor and see if that helps. Also have you tried starting without waiting for the fuel pump? did that work? goood luck and let us know how you turn out. Also are you sure the map you are using is close for your setup, maybe it needs for fuel for startup. Todd
  13. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Thanks, Todd Yes I did try to start without waiting for the light to go out and yes I notice that the bike started better. However I did not load the map that the tech gave me from dynojet yet. That crank sensor was replaced a few years ago when I did the motor work cause the bike did not start and the mechanic told me it was that. After I got the bike back I never had problems with starting until now. I got to tell you ones the bike is running it runs great I have no problems with performance. :D
  14. hotroadking

Make sure you have a good ground to frame, there should be a star washer under the ground cable on the strap across the fram under the seat,

Things tend to loosen up on softails, especially the higher the performance you make them.

I would check all my connections, if you haven't in a while get some electrical cleaners, clean the insides out and coat with dielectric grease which really helps

Make sure your wire going to the starter is tight, that nut can back off but dont' over tighten it.
  15. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

You mean Harleys vibrate & connections come loose? Say it ain't so !! :roflmao:

Yep, the starter lead & ground lines, especially from the battery, are known problems. But that's one reason why God invented star washers & dielectric grease. ;)
  16. hotroadking

No doubt on that LOL

I have a set of the spot lamps you see on baggers and leo's RK's the ones that clamp over the engine guard,

Drilled and hid the wires, blue locktited the nuts on the clamp and the clam shell that holds the lens in.

Even with the 95 inch motor after some really hard pulls one of the two would always come loose I'd find the bulb out or half the assembly coming apart

Just put the 124 back in and found the plastic housing that covers the leads off the stator was cracked internally, had to get a new one.

BTW the Parts manual from HD for 00 Softails has the PN's backwards for the stator/regulator connection. Cost me $20 in gas for two trips and tolls to return the part with the "correct" pn on the bag for the "correct part"
    :gah:
  17. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

when ever you start up your bike with efi, you must always wait for it to go through that cycle, due to part of that cycle being the part which injects some start up fuel for the bike to light up. also check your fuses. the one of concern will be the 2amp one it can blow and cause problems simular to yours:devil:
  18. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Yep, I checked all the connections and all OK. Remember that we are talking about a Twincam B motor there is virtually no vibration on this bike. The bike is as smooth as a metric cruiser. As for the starting process according to some experts in power commanders and FI no need to wait for light to turn off and the bike really starts better. Thanks for all the feedback. "JAZZ":rolleyes:
  19. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Not that you feel because of the way the engine is mounted, but unless you can convince God to change the Laws of Physics, an odd-fire 45-degree V-Twin still vibrates.
  20. hotroadking

Jazz

My bike is a 00 Heritage twin cam, while it's not an eye blender like the evo softails, it does have vibrations they are present however not excessive.

I can shake a set of fog lights off the engine guard with a bunch of hard runs to high RPM

I've rattled Silverstar h3st bulbs into submission (more than I'd like at $20 a pop)

I love the bike and it's smoother at idle than a Ultra but it does buzz a little when you're over 3K and that's just fine.