1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Harley and Locktite - WHAT IS THE PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Peyts, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Just have to b*tch and complain here for a second. If they know the bikes are going to rattle so much (which is a BIG selling factor of the bike), then why can't Harley Davidson manufacturers add Locktite to the nuts, bolts and screws?! I recon' cause they are too damn cheap!

I was out for a great ride yesterday (about 700kms)... when I was about 75kms from my final destination, I noticed that I had an exhaust leak at the manifold and exhaust pipe area. I rode the bike to a friend's and took a closer look. As it turns out, one of the bolts which attaches the exhaust to the manifold had rattled right off the bike. This also caused the stud screw in the manifold to strip.

It took a heck of a lot of p*ssing around to get that stud screw out of the manifold... an overnight stay at my friends... and then a 150km roundtrip to the nearest Harley shop for the part. All of which could have been avoided if HD just used some Locktite!

I love the bike... but I absolutely hate how HD gets cheap on some sh*t! :angry:
  2. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

That sucks!! Hey, when did my luck jump over to you?? At least you got it fixed....:D And hey, bitch and complain all you want.....that's why we're here, we're good listeners! :D
  3. phatpipe

phatpipe New Member

Hell the loctite they do put on is for Shuzbuttz

Got a windshield and two of the loctited bolts lost their nuts within the first 5 miles. Managed to retreive one of the bolts with blue loctite (looked dry and brittle). :angry:
  4. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

I remember an Independent shop I went into. They had a big sign in the wrenching area that said, PUT BLUE LOCTITE ON EVERYTHING. I bet they used red on compensating sprocket nuts though. I'm surprised HD doesen't use a thread sealant. Of course they would put the HD logo on it and sell it for ten bucks a bottle but WTF. AL
  5. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Ten bucks, Al? Come on... you wouldn't get it for near that cheap!
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Sence about 1995 I thought HD stood for Hundred dollars:roflmao:
    at least it seem's that way any more , nothing seem's to interchange like it used to & all cost a lot more then it should
  7. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

If'n ya can change the standard grade 5 bolts to 8 and install lock or ny lock nuts where you can:D
    I believe in overkill
  8. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Overkill is better than what HD has now! I'll try it out! Cheers.
  9. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

HD stands for "Hunnerts o' Dollas"!!!:)
  10. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Hahahahaha! I agree! :roflmao: