1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Harley dealer hurting or what?

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Dec 16, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I got an E-mail from a HD store that is about 60 miles south of us. They normally have sales which are 15-20% off but lately they have been having large sales every weekend and now this a 30% off sale until the end of the year. When I was selling Mac Tools we typically had a 40% profit. Makes you wonder if they are in distress. Would hate to see them go under.

AMC H-D: SANTA'S SUPER SALE
  2. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

They're definitely hurting. I interviewed one of the owners of Thunder Mountain, primarily about the rise and fall of Thunder Mountain Customs. It's the same with the stock bikes though, it's really hard for people to get financing anymore.

I've noticed that not just with the dealerships but with all the stores. Used to be that the big sales and "doorbusters" were one day or the weekend after Thanksgiving. There is constant advertising about big sales and doorbusters for all the big stores. :(
  3. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Me thinks all the dealers are having a hard time, I know for a fact that the two in our area are. I know the first 7 days of this month neither dealer sold a bike, not sure about since then. Our LOH Ladies do Christmas wrapping at the dealership this time of year and they are not wrapping as much as in past years.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Then on the other hand the big dealer here in Portland who laid off about half of his employee's, cut out the employee Christmas party, closed on Sunday and Monday now and reduced or cut out other things. He bought a 500,000 to a million dollar sports car at the end of summer and drives it to work. :rolleyes: Makes me want to support the smaller dealers.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

The one dealer I use here & there's about 4-6 of them cut the 10% discount for loyal customers , & now has apoint system card so you get 1 point for every dollar you spend better then nothing , but like the rest of the country there feeling it as well
  6. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

It's a bad time to cut discounts from loyal customers, 10% off some sales is better than no sales at all! My dealer up here just had a 30% off sale on clothing and they still gave me my 15% discount to swing me into a new leather, but without the discounts they would probably still have that $600 coat on the rack! Bad times are the best times for dealing if you have the cash! I got an over priced HD jacket for what I would pay normally on a good off brand.
  7. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Can't say how dealers in this area are doing since I almost never go to a dealer, but I recently read that the union accepted a new contract @ the York, Pennsylvania plant, which included several concessions & cutting about 1000 jobs. It was either that or H-D was going to close the plant & move operations to Kentucky.