1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Harley "etiquette"

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by phlsphyguy, Sep 2, 2008.

1. phlsphyguy

phlsphyguy New Member

I am a new Harley owner (actually new motorcycle owner) and was wondering if I am breaking some etiquette rules....I mean I RIDE my bike! I logged over 1000 miles in the first three weeks of ownership, but I have noticed that many Harley owners ride for considerably less time and miles on their bikes. I know several guys who have owned Harleys and they average about 200-400 miles per YEAR...One guy I know had a '96 Dyna and sold it in 2006 and it had 1500 miles on it....that averages to a ride around the block once and a while. So, is it proper etiquette to ride your bike, or is it just for looking at in the garage? I bought mine to ride and have fun...not caring about the miles...
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

:roflmao: I see your not a R U B , I have A 03 E Glide with 55k on it I , like you bought it to ride , not just to say I have A Harley , Most of the good people on here do the same , ride the wheels off of them That's what there for :cool:
  3. SK

SK New Member

While I don't ride a Harley (I ride an Yamaha FJR1300 sport-tourer), I really don't pay much attention to how much somebody rides. Some ride more than others based on available time and preference. I ride a ton some months, then hardly any other months. It's hotter'n hell here in Las Vegas in the summer, so I don't ride as much as I used to in the summer..except a few escapes into the Sierras riding over into California a couple of times. Haven't been on my FJR in a month now after my last 1000 mile trip end of July through Yosemite and back. Now that it's cooling off..I'll ride more. That's my circumstances..others bikers have other circumstances in life.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The wife and I did 1085 miles this past weekend until disaster hit :( that's another story in another post.
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

My lady and I did just a little over 1000 miles this weekend, went to PEI for an annual poker run and back to Cape Breton.
    You bought it to ride...get on er and ride. Let the RUB's park it in the driveway and polish,put on their leathers and sit n stare at em.
    :devil:
  6. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I bought my Harley to ride... Hopefully that is exactly what you did...:)
  7. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

It is a bike
    A bike is for riding
    Go ride
    Enjoy the open road

I bought my Harley to ride. If I wanted something to look at I could get a photo.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have always riddin my harleys.....over 600k in 40+ years.....ride the wheels off, then build/buy another!!!!!:)
  9. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I admit i can complain with the best of them:cussing: :roflmao: ,rain, snow, mud, crud, high wind, or a 20 degree low, but the biggest beotch i have is the time it sets there and i all i can do is look and polish. I complain about those that trailer them and at the same time I am trying to finish a trailer to get it over the snow drifts to where i can ride it. I feel for all those that have laid them down not so much for their bodily injuries although i hope they heal fast, and not so much for the physical damage to the bike, i feel for the hearts that are acheing to ride, for the inability to feel the things that they might complain about when the wind is in thier face for deep down they really appreciate them, so to all those that have the ability to keep riding roll on, and to those that are in repair, may you be graced with a speedy, recovery for flesh and chrome and may you rejoined soon better than ever :cool:
  10. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I like to just look at mine in the garage, clean it even though I don't ride it, it's a good talk piece:banghead: I really like my bicycle:angry: oh, can't forget the heal toe express:cussing: I get about 40 miles a week on the bicycle.
  11. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

oh yea sorry sportsterboy I include your misfortune also:D
  12. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Yeh Ironhorse I too can complain with the best. Foul weather, whatever. Over here in the UK summer has not happened, rain, rain, rain and more rain. And when I did the big trip this summer more rain, 3 days of almost continual torrential rain through France. I hate rain

But bikes are for riding.

Next year I might hook the bike to a transporter for a brief trip. Ride to Folkstone, load onto the shuttle to France, and then..... Load the bike onto an overnight train to Nice. I'd do this so I can ride more, and in better weather, and see things, have more fun.

Motorail, trailers, whatever, they have a purpose. Like you said, get away from the snow zone. In my view that purpose is to enable good riding and fun. Just a view of course.
  13. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

and a good view in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!:)
  14. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I bought my 97 Dyna from a guy in 2006 with 3000 miles on it.....I just turned 16,000 not too long ago...I dont really count the miles so much anymore as I appreciate the experience of riding. I use my bike alot to get to work & visit my kids, then I have to hang it up for about 6 months due to the weather.
  15. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I bought it to ride it and I ride as much as I can. I can't say that I log nearly as many miles as others but like Flyn said I just enjoy when I get out and ride.....
  16. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Yea...I have like a 20 min ride to work or like an hour each way to get my kid...Its a nice little cruise if you chose to make it one....Im lucky, I take a few different ways to work each week...got a section or two that have some nice curves in it that make for a sweet ride.
  17. Panthera

Panthera New Member

I purchased my 95 sporty in 2006, with only 6200 miles on it, and I know 400 of those miles were put on by my cousin's son, just before I purchased it. The previous owner added a lot of chrome, and kept it polished nice, but did not ride it much. In the two years I have had it, I doubled up on the miles, and considering the long Wisconsin winters, and my spending most of a year out of the country, means when I get to ride, I ride.

I do not count the miles, though, I count the smiles! Ride on!
  18. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My 07 Harley goes in for its 20,000 mile service next week. The wife and I have put on several hundreds of thousands of miles on our bikes over the years but then who's counting we just enjoy the ride. :)
  19. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    Riding or lookin at

I had to laugh when I read this, during the summer I am usually too busy riding to stay up with the threads. My 06 dyna just rolled 30K this summer and I just may have my HOG 40K patch for this bike before the end of the year. I know there are those that can only ride on weekends or make short runs...and God bless them as well. Not everyone is allowed my freedom to be on the road as mush as I am. Mrs Bear is a hell of a lady, and would never ask me to stop roaming. As to the ones that just sit it in the garage and look at it....makes you wonder if those silicone enhanced trophy wives are just for show as well. LMAO.
    Ride Free....
  20. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I don't get out near enough..too busy at work. I have an '04 with 30 thousand miles, not a lot but while it may be a bit of a garage queen when it does get out it earns it's keep.