1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Harley FLHTC, let out the clutch and no go?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by hogheaven, Sep 21, 2005.

1. hogheaven

hogheaven New Member

I own a 1985 HD FLHTC. It started making some strange sounds almost like loose tappets. I took it in to the guy that just rebuilt the motor and he said that it was in great shape and the noise I was hearing was driveline noise and not to worry. RIGHT! Well I took it for a 100 mile run and late into it what I thought was the clutch slipped and she reaved a couple of times. Thought I better get it home. Well 20 miles from home on a busy freeway I loss all drive and had to coast to the side of the road. Placed it in every gear and let out the clutch. No go. I mean nothing. no grinding no chatter and no grab at all? it never ran so quiet LOL. Clutch cable was fine. I pulled off the primary cover and looked at the clutch disks. They were a little warn but not bad enough to loose all drive. I am now ready to pull off the primary chain and clutch basket. I hit a snag. The compensater bolt is it a left treaded? tell me I need to know. What else could the problem be. I will appreceiate any help on this. Thanks in advance. :eek:
  2. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

No. The compensating is right-hand threads, the clutch nut is left-hand threads.

IF your compensating nut doesn’t fall off going down the road (like most folks) then the easiest way to get it off is by impact-wrench.

If you don’t have access to an impact-wrench then you will need a pry-bar of some type and you’ll need to keep the primary chain / driveline from moving/turning (ouch). 'They' have the right tool for jamming the chain, but, I've have used a door-stop a couple of times and it works O.K. (its just my way of doing it, I'm sure there are better ways)

Not to sound like a D***, but is your belt on? I had lost / broke my belt one day going down the highway and it was the quietest, smoothest sounding my bike ever was. :D
  3. hogheaven

hogheaven New Member

Thanks Killer-B
    Yep the belt is on and is not damaged. I think I may know what the problem is. but i will have to get the primary chain assembley off to see for sure. I need to borrow an impact wrench. I think maybe the keyway key on the clutch mainshaft sheared. If that is the case and it didn't do to much damage I will be back on the road again soon. It is good to know the thread direction of the compensater sprocket bolt. Thanks. I called Redding CA Harley Davidson to ask them that question and they refused to tell me???? Whats up with that lol. I will never use them for any service in the future. Thanks again. :)
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Get the SM for your bike everything you need to know to do your own maintainence is in that book, you also need tq values.

When you put the comp nut back on, be sure to use red loctite on it. I think the tq spec is over 100 ft pounds.

You'll need a locking tool or an impact to get that comp nut off.

Clutch basket is left thread.

When you have the cover off take the plugs out and with the bike on lift put in 5th gear and turn the rear wheel, does everything turn, rear belt, primary chain, motor. That will tell you really quick where the problem is located.
  5. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Yep

Yep, its a bit over 100 ft-lb's.

Compensating spocket nut is: 150-165 ft-lb's

The service manual is a good investment.
  6. hogheaven

hogheaven New Member

Thanks. Still have not got the sprocket off. But the rear wheel does not turn. The clutch basket turns and the clutch cable is working. hopefully as soon as i get the impact wrench I won't find to much damage. This sprocket nut will never fall off Ha ha What a bear. :)
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You can take a propane torch and heat it up a bit to loosen the red locktite but an impact is a good tool. You'll need a locking bar if you try and do it without the impact.

OK the rear doesn't turn but the clutch basket does?

Does it turn the primary chain and motor?

Sounds like it's in the clutch basket if the trans is in gear and the rear won't roll but the clutch basket turns and the primary chain isn't moving?
  8. hogheaven

hogheaven New Member

hotroadking
    I got the clutch assembly pulled far enough to see that the keyway key is trash. if i ever get this spocket nut off It should be a easy fix. But i will have to take a closer look to figure out why it ate the key. The shop that last worked on it should be calling me today.
  9. CD

CD Guest

This is a pretty common problem on the taper shaft clutch hubs. If the hub is split when you replace it have your local shop press a sleeve onto it. This makes the aluminum much stronger and less likely to crack.

Over torquing can crack it as will a bad main shaft.
  10. hogheaven

hogheaven New Member

Thanks CD
    I ended up taking it to main street choppers. He said if I bought that new tire from him he would remove the compensator spocket nut for free. His air impact wrench didn't even budge it. He had to borrow a bigger impact wrench, buy a new socket which broke and it took him 4 hours to finaly get that bugger off. It was caked with RED locktight. Inside and out side the nut. By the end of it we attracted a pretty good size crowd. cheers all the way around lol. He is hanging the chewed up nut on the wall. :D Now i am waiting for the parts to come in and I will be set again.
  11. dutch

dutch New Member

No Go

If I read this right with all the hammering done on the compensator nut you might want to check the rotor and related parts for damage. Using air tools can knock the magnets lose from the rotor etc. Dutch
  12. CD

CD Guest

No kiddin' Dutch I wouldn't be surprised to see some loose magnets.

Was that hub cracked?
  13. hogheaven

hogheaven New Member

Yep. It did loosen up the magnets in the comp cup. I will need to replace that. Another $80.00. The clutch hub is not cracked but it did some spin damage on the tapered part were the key was. The hub is also a little warped ( side to side) not to bad but I am a little concerned about vibration. I had a new bearing pressed into the clutch hub. I took it for a ride and it was much more quiet but it did make a different sound going up grades. Maybe I don't have the clutch spring ajusted just right or that hub is just too warn. I am pulling it apart again today to make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight. Don't know how long it will last. It's going to take the big bucks to fix it right. New Mainshaft, Clutch baskit and hub, Compensator sprocket assembly. I just don't have the bucks now or maybe later. LOL.