1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Harley for the over the hill

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by voodoo1, Mar 30, 2009.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Well it sounds right , I got older riding a Harley , & now my kids are riding them as well , & a lot of the so called older guys buying them now wated to by after there kids grew up
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I know that most of us started out with yamahas, kawaskis, honda, and worked up to the elite HD, although we cuss the stealership periodicly, were loyal to the brand, to american made, and to the lifesyle, and as cowboy stated, alot of our children are riding now, and I skipped letting them build to a harley and helped them get on a sporty over a crotch rocket, and they now appreciate that I was adament. of course we didn't have the crotch rockets back when i started.
  4. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Same here.....I started out on Cushman, Honda, Yamaha, then Harley......I have rode some of them lately....After the Harley....the others don`t feel right to me.....Bought my wife a Goldwing trike when she wanted to start riding her own.....Didn`t take long before I sold the Goldwing and got her a Ultra....While I was getting the Ultra ready for her she told me she didn`t think she would like Harley as well as the Honda.....First time she rode the Harley she was hooked on the feeling.....

I have gotten old with Harley.....used to want to ride for speed......Really would like to have something more sporty from time to time and have thought about getting a chopper again....then I think I would just go back to wrecking and my old body would not take it again....guess I will stick with the Ultras and love it......I really think Harley has the market covered pretty well!!! From the Buell to the Ultras...Something for everyone....47% of the market is pretty dang strong!!! :)
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Like many I started out on foreign bikes. When I was 14 I traded my 10-speed for a 50 cc Yamagucci (sp) and moved up to larger bikes from there. Rode a Honda super Hawk on the island of Guam for a year while in the military. My biggest stumbling block for many years was the ex wife before she became an ex wife. She always said you don't need a motorcycle as its just a luxury. After 20 years and finally the divorce I bought a 82 Goldwing 1100 and she drug me back into court demanding more child support money. Judge told her to grow up its a guy thing. Moved from Honda's to my first Harley after that and have never been back
    Harley to me is the true freedom that I've missed out on for many years and I think many guys who turn 50 feel the same way. Raised the kids or finished your ridiculous high child support and need that freedom. I think there will always be that lure for the middle aged guy.
    You ever been riding down the interstate and pull up along side a motor home and the look in the faces of many of these guys is I wished I were you.
    Yep, riding my Harley to me is just like being on a journey that never seems to end.
  6. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

yup I can agree with that, you pull up to the light, the food joint, down the rode, and , you can see the droul and want, both from the ol man, and from the kids. (and the ol lady too.) cause deep in thier mind they know that HD and freedom run together, not that the other brands don't instill fredom. just HD is more prominant to the fact.
  7. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Good article. I've seen this coming for a long time. I started out on a Bridgestone 175 a "couple of years ago" The kids are getting in to the Sportbikes..can't relate to Harley......not yet anyway. I think part of it is price point. Once a person gets a little older they may want a more comfy bike..Harley is good here. There are less of us riding and there isn't as much free money to blow on a bike..gonna be some tuff times.
  8. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

I agree with Mayor. As we get older we want more comfort, but every now and then we want that machine we're sitting on to take us back to a younger feeling and time. I recommend two Harleys. I got ran over on my Ultra 3 years ago and after the insurance settlement, decided I wanted that need for speed and sporty feeling to be satisfied. I got my Deuce and wouldn't take anything for it. But after a couple years of riding it, I was beginning to long for that cruiser feeling again. I recently added an older model RK (one I could afford) and absolutely love it. I don't care how much heat I get for having two Harleys, they're paid for and what ever the itch I feel, I get it scratched by hopping onto one or the other.
    I rode a bicycle for 20 years until my knees started screaming for motorized assistance. Like some of you have stated, just couldn't afford a HD until I got the kids grown up and debt smoothed out. Now, I hope to enjoy the ride for several years before I'm completely over the hill.
  9. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Friend of mine was selling his Deuce at the time I was hunting a bike for my wife.....Man I like the looks and feel of his Deuce, but, my wife has bad bones and just dropping it could really mess her up.....So I had to go with the trike...Just as well because in a couple of years I will have to ride on the trike....I am sure Harley will last longer than me and that all I have to worry about right now.....
  10. FLHTbiker

Mayor, did you get the info on the rake kit I e-mailed you. Rake kit on it will make that trike handle way better.
  11. steveb

steveb Active Member

I started out on Yamaha's and Honda's as I got older the dream of a Harley was always there but I could not afford the cost until my kids were grown up. Now I am on my second one in 4 yrs and it is not the comfort or the ride the makes the Harley worth it. It is more about the brotherhood of Harley riders out there that makes the experience of riding a Harley worth it. The experience just is not there on a Honda or a Star.
  12. FLHTbiker

YEP :D Couldn't agree more. Was in a Honda group before Harley's and the camaraderie just is not the same.
  13. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Yes, but, don`t know if I can swing it right now....was highter than I thought and I have four of my rentals not rented right now....4 moved out or I should say 2 moved out and 2 got moved out....any way all 4 houses were messed up and I have to spend some money on them before I can rent them out......money missed and also have to spend a tity amount to get them ready.......We are planning to ride out west in June so I want to have it done before we go......If we don`t trailer them out there she will have a hard time with the bad arm.....(I really don`t want to trailer)

Friend of mine that is old school Harley thinks he can find me one pretty cheap!! Maybe he can....thanks for the information.....James
  14. FLHTbiker

When you do get one suggest you do a min. of a 4 degree rake. Where out west are you headed.
  15. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

The best look you ever get on your harley is cruisin by a park doin 20mph or so and the guy pushin a stroller and walking a puppy! Just as you go by you can see the wife slap him and tell him to wake up!!
  16. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Don`t really know all the details yet...I know we will go through Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and come back through Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and Kentucky......I know it will take more than the month and I would like to visit the upper mid west too.....Some friends that have made a lot of trips out west are going to help with the plans...

To make sure we have not stole the thread I am over the hill and will be riding a Harley.....:D
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

whodaheck you calling old

little friggin crotch rocket riding smartazz reporters

I'm gonna kick his little wirey' arse

now unlock my walker you pissy nurse and lettme outta the barn....
  18. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

yup

:fight: :roflmao: