1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Harley oil filter wrench

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jturuk, Oct 14, 2008.

1. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Hi all

I'm getting ready to do an oil change on my 2008 RKC this weekend. I had an oil cooler installed on the bike this summer and with the cooler hoses and such I don't have a wrench that will work. Harley has one listed in their service manual that looks like it would work much better. Looks according to the picture like it grabs the filter on the top and bottom and looks like it might work pretty good.......Any of you guys use this tool?

Thanks

John
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i also have a cooler on my geezer glide:) i always had a bit of a problem removing the filter. i recieved a harley filter wrench as a gift.....wonderful tool!!!!! if you are doing your own changes, it is the way to go!!! have fun!!!!!!!!:)
  3. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Thanks chucktx!

Can you think of any other nasty little surprises my 775 pound sweetheart might spring on me doing this job?

John
  4. chucktx

if you dont fabricate some type of drip pan to put underneith the filter you gonna make a mess of the floor/bike. i used to use the box that the filter came in. it worked ok, but was tricky. i now use a piece of sheet lead from a plumbers supply house. i cut it with sissors to the shape i needed to get all the way to the back of the filter housing and sticking out enough to get past the frame. didnt cost very much and it is very pliable to twist and turn anyway you want. the other thing i do is i took an old screwdriver, removed the handle.....cause it was broken anyway...i kept the chisel end on it, but sharpened it like a chisel. i then losen the filter a bit, not enough to leak oil, but enough i can turn it by hand. then i place the trough under the filter and a drip pan to catch oil. then i use the screwdriver to punch a hole in the lower side of the filter so the oil can run out into the trough. i also punch a hole in the top part of the filter to let some air into the filter and the oil will drain a bit faster. then i go about changing the oil and other stuff. hope this helps a bit..............:)
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I always run a thin piece of cardboard up and under the filter and far enough out the front to catch the oil run off when the filter is removed. Helps keep the excess oil from the front of the bike.
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I use a 2 liter soda bottle cut the bottom off & cut down one side so the other side will slip under the filter & run into the pan just under the foot board , keeps a lot of oil off the front of the engine & such
  7. FLHTbiker

Cowboy I've done that to but usually don't have one of those empty bottles present but always have cardboard laying around, works about the same.
  8. chucktx

i have about 400lbs of that sheet lead. i use it for making round balls for shooting.......if it didnt weigh so much i would send it out.....i will never use it all................:)
  9. FLHTbiker

I to have a ton of sheet lead and 80 pound lead bars that I cut up for making round balls for the muzzle loader.
  10. chucktx

makes a great trough............:)
  11. FLHTbiker

Never tried the lead have to use it next time
  12. chucktx

i used regular sissors to cut it with, then just formed it to fit.....i store it in my drain pan when not in use.....used the same one for nearly a year.....what ever works!!!!! soda bottles to cardboard...if it works for you that is great!!!!!:) if it aint broke, dont fix it!!!!!:roflmao:
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You can do all that stuff and you'll probably end up with oil on the frame anyway, JMO not worth the work.

Here's my trick,

put the oil drip pan on the floor under the filter,
    take some papertowels, fill the area under the filter.
    remove filter, some oil will spill, paper towels catch most.
    fill new filter 1/3 and lube ring, install, paper towels catch any spill.

remove paper towels
    spray area with simple green
    wash,

Ride.
  14. FLHTbiker

I get very little to no oil spill when I change filters.
  15. chucktx

just to add my 2 cents.......using my trough i get no spills either......but i have kicked the oilpan over:witsend: :witsend: glad i keep a couple bags of oil dry around!!!!!!!!!!:roflmao:
  16. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I thought oil dry was part of the tool box:roflmao:
  17. chucktx

it is in my shop!!!!!!!!!!! :roflmao:
  18. FLHTbiker

I forgot about that! I've done that before to. :gah:
  19. gabby

gabby New Member

oil filter

my bike has an oil cooler that required an adapter for the oil filter to install. pain in the a-- to change filter. buy a K&N oil filter. it has a nut made onto the end of it. so easy a caveman could do it. oh yeah, it's chrome also.:)