1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Harley Race Tuner or Power Commander

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by RDean, Mar 3, 2008.

1. RDean

RDean New Member

I have a 07 Ultra Classic and want to change the mufflers and add the stage 1 kit. I have gotten contradicting stories from the HD dealers about using the harley race tuner or the power commander. Which is the best route to take here. I know there is a little more money in the race tuner but if in the long run thats the better way to go I think the extra money would be well spent. One harley dealer claims the tuner is best and the PCIII won't work on my bike! Another harley dealer says the PCIII is great and no need to go to the tuner! Who is one to believer here?? Any advice would be appreciated on this one. Plan to install the Rush 2.0 slash mufflers along with the air kit.
    Dean
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Both will work...or should work. The Race Tuner tends to be much more expensive and has to be programed by the HD guys. The Power Commander is less expensive. You can do the basic tune yourself by installing the download map from their website. The main thing to keep in mind is that with the download map, it will be close, but you need a good dyno tuner to pull it all the way in.....of course, with the race tuner, the tech also needs to be good on the dyno, or it will not be pulled in tight either...... a third option you may look at would be something like the Zippers Thundermax with AutoTune.....it has O2 sensors and makes adjustments on the fly based on the exhause gases makeup....... Good luck!
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

another thingto remember is the pc can go bike to bike, the race tuner is engine/puter spicific, you have a putr problem you need a new race tuner, allthough a race tuner can be dialed in per cylinder, injector, timing and such where as the pc3 are more of a general fuel adjuster.
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

and like afn said to get the most out of any tuner, a dyno is only as good as the operator, and a good dyno tuner, can make anything scream.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I run the PC 111 for many reason's I can change my pipe s ( I have three different set's for my E Glide) & when the wife is gone I can drag her lap top out to the garage & reset my bike & have a cool one while I'am at it , no taking it to a dealer & spending moer of my beer money & not drinking it :D
  6. RDean

RDean New Member

Thanks guys! I ordered the Rush 2.0 mufflers today and then next week the bikes going it for the pipes, stage one kit and the PCIII and then onto the dyno! I'll let you all know how it turns out when its all done. Thanks again for the advice.
    Dean
  7. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

good choice, even better would be the thundermax. but . . . you'll not be disappointed with the pc111:D
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Guess we best keep our wives/girlfriends away from the dyno room!
  9. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: HRK...your killin me:D
  10. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

carefull HRK it could be keep the boyfriend out of the dyno room :roflmao: hot 01 abby is here and albet the she ain't scared a no dyno/beer