1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Harley Sportster pipes?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Vince Patterson, May 23, 2004.

1. Vince Patterson

Vince Patterson New Member

Heh guys, who's up on Sportster pipes? I get an '04 Roadster model with forward controls. Before delivery I had the dealer install Screamin' Eagle carb unit anticipating a later-pipes purchase.

Now, I'm up in the air as to which brand and style to get. I'd like a mid-level volume (up tight neighborhood) but a purring, sweet tone to match my saxophonist's ears. I'll have a pro install them. Just trying to get some solid recommendations; I don't want the Sportster to emulate a tricked-out chopper, but would love a better "harley" sound.

Your ideas are greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
  2. VYBR8R

VYBR8R New Member

Mellow Pipes Keep Neighbors Happy

Screaming Eagle has a few slip on mufflers that will surely meet your requirements, although I'm partial to Cycle Shack your neighbors won't be thrilled with the "loud" exhaust note. When you do put on the new exhast, you will also have to do some carb work. Generally on a sportster, the idle jet will have to be drilled to .019", the main jet will need to be increased to a 190, the jet needle will need one shim and the mixture screw works good from 2 to 2 1/2 turns out.