1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Harleys best selling model

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by jturuk, Apr 13, 2008.

1. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Hi all

Was just curious if anyone knew?

John
  2. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

not sure which model, but from want i have been told and read the touring models are out selling everything else.

DKIN21
  3. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

sporters always have been, think they are
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

thought it was the fatboy

I think the best selling line is the softail

Baggers are catching up as the bike de jour
  5. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

I'm leaning towards HRK's post. The two things that brought Harley back and saved them from extinction was the EVO engine and the Softail line.
  6. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

The Street Glide it Hot !
    But the Electra Glides have been moving very well too.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sportsters..........since 1957.........and still selling...................:)
  8. twincam88b

twincam88b New Member

I read somewhere it was the Fatboy.....
  9. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

i took a quiz on HD history . . . . according to that "sporters" sell like pancakes. heads above the others:devil:
  10. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

I went looking for sales figures and couldn't find them. I did find an article from 2004 that was saying that cruisers between 650-800cc were the hottest sellers accross the board.

"But then again, we could also just refer to this roundup as the "Best-Selling Class in America." Surprised by the lofty classification? Don't be. Cruisers from 650 to 800cc outsell all other sizes, including large-displacement bikes from Harley and all the Japanese marques. We could also refer to this group as the "Value Bikes," since the low prices vs. high efficiency/style/versatility weigh dramatically in the consumer's favor. In fact, these bikes are so many different things to different types of riders, we suppose you could call the class just about anything...except unappealing."

Harley-Davidson, Honda Kawasaki, Suzuki, Triumph and Yamaha - Budget V-Twin Motorcycle Comparison - Motorcycle Cruiser

With that being the case logic would say that the 883 Sportster would fall in that line. Which the article goes on to compare several different makes of bikes in that class and includes the 883.

My guess would have to go with logic (along with what I see the most of on the road) and say the Sportster lineup would win this title of best selling Harley. Although BigTwit.....crap Big Twin guys seem to look down their noses at us Sporty guys for some reason.
  11. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

12. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Actually the Sporty is holding its own. If you figure the # of models under each of those sales groups, the touring models in 07 had eight models, the custom (includes Dyna, ST, CVO and VRSC) Dyna had five models, ST had eight models, VRSC had five models and I don’t know about how many CVO models in 07 but 08 has four giving custom a total of 22 models. The XL line had 5 models in 07. Tally up all the numbers and divide by models and the Touring models take the lead per model (assuming equal shipping of each model) with 14,260 of each model shipped. XL was second with 8,004 of each model shipped and the customs had 6,569 of each model shipped. We all know the CVOs are not produced in the #s the production lines are. Any way it goes the touring models win. This would tend to make sense to me as the Harley rider is an aging group with more youngins on crotch rockets and other riceburners.

With all that said, GOD I have a boring life taking the time to work all that out on a spreadsheet and looking up models from 07. :gah:
  13. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Nice Link, Alot Of Stuff To Look At, Interesting To Look At The 5 Year Stock Graph, Seems Like Hd Is Taking A Plung For The Past Couple Of Years. Couldn't Tell On The Sales, That Graph Looked Like To Me That It Was How Many Bikes They Made, Are They Really Selling All That They Make Per Year?
  14. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Hey wvak47...great job on the break down. :D I didn't really look that close and consider all the models. The good new is, your right, the Sporty is holding it's own, the bad news is, think of all the riding you could have been doing in the time you spent on the spreadsheet.:eek:
  15. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Great link Ringo, I'd be interested in seeing some older numbers as well from the 90's. I've been looking for production numbers from 1989 forward but haven't had much luck.
  16. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Actually I am setting here at work getting paid to break these numbers down. Couldn't be riding anyway. shhhhh don't tell the boss :roflmao:
  17. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Here's a little more info Ken. Scroll down to page 16 of the report and you will see a annual production list. No brakedown by model, but shows total production numbers from 1901 thru 2003.:cool: I'll see if I can find something by model.

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/grant/docs/08Harley.pdf
  18. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

great job on that!!!!!!!!!! but i still think that if ya could get from the begining, the sporty will still be #1....in life sales...............:)
  19. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Somewhere along the line wasn't the Sportster supposed to be what ultimately saved HD? I think I read or heard that somewhere. And just so everyone knows I am not bias because I own a Sporty, my favorite HD is the Dyna Wideglide, I own a Sporty cause that is what I could afford (which is what I have heard was part of the reason the Sporty was made, so poor schmucks could afford a HD).
  20. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Hey don't sell yourself short there wvak, the Sporty is a great bike, always has been. I think your right that the Sporty really launched HD forward in the market. I think I would agree with Chuck also, for the most life time sales numbers.