1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Have a question

Discussion in 'Projects' started by phreak, Oct 15, 2008.

1. phreak

phreak New Member

ok i now have 3 bikes the nighthawk i have is doing good nothing done on the pipes left it stock but now i have a 883 sportster stock and i just bought a 96 yamaha 250 virago 600 bucks it runs good but i need to replace the gas tank due to 9 mm pistol being fired by my brother dummy never checked the chamber i have checked and checked all over the web and stuff the dealership down here where i live will order me one for about 250 bucks im just trying to fix it up for my 17 y/o brother who likes to ride with me when we get the chance i've thought about just have a buddy of mine weld the hole shut but with the hole comes moisture which means rust so if anyone as any good ideas as to an easy way around this problem please let me know:) :) :)
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Find a motorcycle salvage yard and replace it with a good used one. :)
  3. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Well this is just my MAKE IT WORK side talking, but I would do one of two things if I didn't just keep digging for a good used one. First I would simply have the hole(s) MIG welded, body work and move on, or I would remove the tank cut it apart at its original welds and pound the tabs back in weld it up and move on. If you go with the first idea I would rig up a hose from a car exhaust to the fill of the tank and let it fill with exhaust gas first. This will keep any gas vapor remaining from making a bigger hole in the tank and the welder (person not machine).

That old of a tank it won't matter one way or the other on the rust since any used old one you find will probably have rust in it too. If you cut it appart at the original welds you should be able to clean any rust that is in there now out and start over from scratch.

Good luck let us know what you do.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i like wvak47's idea.....but not splitting at the seams.....just weld the sucker up. get some bodyfiller and ride!!!! make sure the weld does not leak. pressure test it at about 5lbs air pressure and soapy water.........:)
  5. CD

CD Guest

See the above and add:

INERT GAS THE TANK!!!!!! Fuel vapors are explosive and deadly. Been there, saw the damage first hand. Tank blown apart and the shrapnel wounds all up and down the arm.

You can use any inert gas you have access to. We used CO2 from a fire extinguisher and I know one welder that used his Argon tank.

After the repair, leak test as above the to any get loose corrosion out, rattle can it. Get a bunch (i.e 100 or more) of pea sized bearings and some MEK or Toulene and put a quart or so in the tank with a bunch of the bearings. Tape up the openings before hand and use the gas cap after putting in the bearings and the liquid. Shake, rattle and roll turning the tank on end, upside down etc until you can't anymore then have someone else do it, etc. I would try for at least a 1/2 hour of shaking. remove the cap, drain it and flush it out a couple of times. When it comes out clear and no debris you are done. If there was a lot of loose crap do a second pressure test.
  6. spikegomez

spikegomez New Member

Yeah make sure that the weld don't leak.... it isn't cool if it leaks... that could be like this...:fight:

fxdxriderleo Active Member

tank rust

i have heard of people using a bent wire and a battery charger to remove rust from the tank. electrolysis, they call it. like chrome plating but done backwards.
  8. indnspringer

indnspringer New Member

You Can Buy A New Tank From Jp Cycles Or Watch E Bay I HAVE USED FLITZ POLISH TO REMOVE RUST
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009