1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hazmat situation with oil change - tips please

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hot01, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

This might be a stupid question, but here goes. I use the Scavenger system to get all the dirty oil out of my 88B. The only reason I bring this part up is because I'm removing the oil filter and the puck that comes with the system, so I get the mess twice. Is there any way to get the filter off the bike without having an oil spill? I put the oil drain pan under that part, but I spend more time mopping up the oil that gets all over the bike than the actual oil change itself. There has to be a better way.
  2. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Most bike shops sell a plastic trough that slides under your oil filter and seats against the face where the filter screws on. It exits to the side of the bike and the oil runs down it and into your pan. Or you can make one yourself out of an empty plastic bleech bottle.
  3. Clem

Clem New Member

Aluminum foil...and a plastic tray designed to fit under the filter. Works fine for us. No spills, no mess on the engine, frame or mount. The pan is there to double the safety factor to prevent a spill. There are probably other sensible ideas here too...
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Cardboard works well, plastic etc just slide under the filter.

I shove some paper towels in the slot between the floorboard and the side of the motor where the oil drains out.

No way to get rid of 100% though.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i use a heavy duty tin foil...(type for wrapping briskets and ribs on a smokerpit)....i shape it to fit around the filter and slide it past the housing a bit. the length is long enough to get out past the floorboard to drain into a pan. i loosen the filter a bit before doing this so i can get the filter off with my hand. once the foil is in place i take a long sharpened screwdriver and drive it into the upper side of the filter, then again in the lower side. (note) this is looking directly on the filter.....12oclock is high, 6 is low....let the oil drain into the pan....when finished, remove filter and wipe the housing clean, pull tinfoil, install new filter with a bit of oil/grease on the filter gasket...so far my shop floor is clean!!!!:) hope this helps a bit....
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I use a 2lt Dp bottel , cut the bottom off & make a cut away about half way down both side's & cut it off , to be able to handle the filter from the top bottle will fill with the little oil from the filter &the filter as well you can pour it right out the same way, leave the cap on , & it will fit just under the filter mount
    :cool:
  7. chucktx

lots of good ideas here.........aint this place grand??!!!!:)
  8. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Hey Chuck...your shop floor should be clean, don't most dedicated Harley owners change their oil either in the living room or family room? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
  9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Thanks! Lots of good ideas. Chuck's sounds a little vicious, but it might be a good way to keep that creepy neighbor from staring at me while I'm doing the job.
  10. chucktx

well, im not creepy, but i do like to watch women changing stuff!!!:roflmao:
  11. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I just pick my bike up over my head with my right hand and unscrew the filter with my left hand. Easy.

I just never know what to do with the gas that pours all over my head. :D
  12. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

I probably wouldn't light up a smoke right away.:eek:
  13. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Im with you man....cardboard works pretty good & its cheap & plentiful
  14. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Cardboard, cut 2 liter bottles, or my neighbor's Sunday paper that he never reads anyway... whatever I find at the moment always works for me. I get it all drained without a drop on the floor. Then being the klutz that I am I usually trip over the drain pan and then spend the next hour cleaning up the mess, DOH!

Speaking of oil messes, here's a strange but true tip for soaking up the worst of spills. Go to your local hair salon or barber and ask them for the days worth of cut hair they are throwing out. Stuff the hair into ladies nylons or pantyhose and knot them so you have a stuffed tube. Then when you have a spill use them to soak up the oil. Sounds strange but this was actually discovered by a hair stylist years ago and the idea was adopted by hazmat teams for removing oil slicks from coastal waters. Hair will soak up oil faster than sand or kitty litter.