1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hd 2 yr warranty

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, May 5, 2009.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Had the power coating to come of the frame on my bike a while back.
    I was in the HD dealer in College station and had my bike dynoed, showed it to them a couple months ago. They was to have a HD factory rep to come by and see the pictures.
    I was called today, they wanted to know how many miles my bike had on it, engine modifications, and anything I had done to my bike.
    Also wanted to know where I kept the bike.
    Asked how much I was willing to pay.
    Now correct me if i'm wrong, but if HD gives you a 2 yr warranty, and nothin I did had anything to do with the Power coating on the frame come off, why should I have to pay anything..

[​IMG]
  2. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Do you garage your bike? Still that shouldn't happen on a new bike. I had loose steering head bearings from off showroom floor. Warranty covered that but was told if I wanted it checked again that I was going to have to pay. So for no problems as of yet. I almost wonder if some moisture got trapped in the frame tube. That shouldn't be possible. Hope MOCO fixes it for you.
  3. cardboard

Bike is kept in a garage, Never been to a car wash and never had a pressure washer on it.
    Wash it with car soap. I happened only in one place. Don't thing the bike was prepped right. Got a feeling HD is gonna screw me on the 2 yr warranty they offer.
    I told the HD dealer in College Station, Tx. I couldn't understand why they was interested in how many miles I had on my bike and what mods had been done if I'm trying to claim warranty on the frame.:banghead:
  4. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Looks like it wasn`t prepped right....good luck....I'm with you...what difference does is make the frame hasn`t had any mods!! Harley should stand behind their bikes better and drop the BS.....Any time we make mods to our bikes they want to yell it voids the warrenty....BS
  5. cardboard

If any Harley person ever tells me if I do something to my bike it voids my warranty I start yelling at them in the store.
    I want everybody in the place to hear me. I tell them if they have nothin better to do than to tell me that it Voids my warranty I would like to let them read the Mag Moss ACt ! I will not listen to them, it makes me git mad pretty fast. Folks from Alabama don't like to hear garbage throwed at them.
    If I still had my business I would of already had a attorney on this case.
  6. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Ever notice how Alabama rednecks act like bunny rabbits till you P*ss them off and then they change to a rattle snake.....Like my wife says...(0 to Bitch in two seconds):gah: :)
  7. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Hope you don`t need a lawyer....Maybe they will do the right thing......
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

no problem.....bring it down........i can fix it..........thanks for the pic!!!
  9. cardboard

Talkin about Alabama, Roooolll Tide !

Born and raised in Pleasant Grove, Alabama. My son is still in Alabama.
    Worked for years at Alabama Lock & Key.
    I'm a Redneck Hillbilly for sure.

Been dealin with this for a few months. The way everything is going I have a Bad Feeling.Bet I wind up going to Chucks to git it fixed. Bet HD screws me on this.:gah:
  10. Mayor

Mayor New Member

With things the way they are right now.......Harley need to take care of those of us who are loyal and take care of them! Ask GM and Chrysley.....No one is too large to fail.......and Harley is on a banana peel right now!!!
  11. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Online Petition

If they don't do right by you cardboard we will start an online petition and every HD owner here will promise to by a honda next time around!

Do they sell cams,tuners,pipes and chrome for honda's?
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

NO but you can get a nice stuffed animal to put on the back of your Golddiggerwing LOL

HD might have just been interested in the mileage, not for the reason of denial, as HD's warranty is unlimited mileage but they would like to know if its a 200 mile garage queen or a 20000 mile road warrior.

It would have to be proven that the powdercoat failed, which is pretty darn obvious, or if a chip from a rock hit the frame, nicked it, causing the coating to lift, and then over time, with power washing and rain etc it just got down inside the coating, which, JMO coating shouldn't come off in that amount, it'd have to be a big ass rock...

Let them do the due dilligence, you're basically asking for a 100% teardown of the bike, which isn't cheap, lots of hours, then the frame to be stripped and coated again. So it's not like it's a bolt on part that failed.

Not saying it's not to be covered because of those reasons but it must be
    done properly.

If you are in two years, they pretty much have to do it,

Magnusson Moss protects you from a dealer manuf saying you didnt' use HD wash to keep it clean so it's void.

No way a cam install did that so you having a hopped engine isn't a cause jmo.

Be cool, seems to work better for me and if the Zone reps there that's good, HD takes care of people....
  13. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

So sorry to hear about this. I'm soooo.. tired of this buls*it from HD dealerships. Didn't use HD oil, no warranty, didn't do this little thing or that little thing, voided warranty. fart on the seat, no warranty. Of course a company has to protect itself from fraud, but the lengths they go to tell you the warranty could be void are beyond the pale. Then, in the next breath, they're trying to sell you an extended warranty!
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey what the heck kinda beans are you eat'n...:p :roflmao:
  15. cardboard

Bike has never been power washed. And what they do if they deceide to warranty it is order a new frame from Harley. When the frame comes in they will call me and it will take them approx. 2-3 days if i remember right to strip it and put everything back together.
    The service manager has already told me the scoop on how that works.:banghead:
  16. cardboard

If I remember right say you have a bent frame and you have a Indy shop, you can go threw the HD dealer and they will have you cut the frame at the neck, and you cut the while down tubes and cut the neck off, take it to the dealer with the Vin numbers on it and you can order a new frame from HD. :cool: