1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

HD Bags wont close properly

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by deweylsmith, May 15, 2010.

1. deweylsmith

deweylsmith Active Member

Looking for advice out there....I recently started having problems with my stock HD hard bags on my FLHT Ultra. The bag on the right side will not "snap" or close with that disticive"Thud" when you know it is closed. I do not want to force the handle down, but i cannot ride with the bag not secure either. Any ideas?:witsend:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

make sure the metal clips that slide into the reciever is not bent or out of shape....seen this before. the clips on the back side of the bag....also that they are aligned......
  3. deweylsmith

Thanks for the reply. I have checked those out. Not bent. I have compared the left side bag to the right side. both look the same. All clips look alike. Will try again tomorrow.
  4. Yachtman

Yachtman New Member

It's the fabric strap holding the two together. Try holding it back in place and shutting the bag. I had the same problem.
  5. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Also check the alignment of the seal to the rim without trying to push the lock down - the lid should align on the bottom rim - if it doesn't the bottom could be warped from the mounting screws not being aligned - if this is the problem try loosing the screws and retightening them - this just happened to me down at thunder beach cause I had to much stuff in the bag and it threw it off just enough to cause the problem your describing.
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I've experienced the same problem and think your correct, that's what was causing the problem with mine.
  7. deweylsmith

It wasn't the strap. Took it off, still did it. I completely removed the lock assembly to find 4 mounting holes. I redrilled them slightly higher than the originals. reassembled. fixed! Lock works like new. the bag probably did become mis-shapened, in the first place. Thanks for the help everybody.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

glad ya got it!!!!! guess we all need to keep an eye on what/how much we pack in there.............