1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

HD Daymakers

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jan 20, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have been trying to find out if these are going to fit my bike or not as I really want these. I was once told by a dealership that I am no longer doing business with that the HD Daymakers will fit my bike as long as the stock headlight bubble was removed. About a week after I was told that, I had my bike in for some ESP work and the dealer that was working on it told me that the HD Daymakers won't work. :witsend::witsend:

I have been asking around on other forums about this light and with some success but we aren't there just yet. My concerns as far as fitment goes basically comes from the wiring harness for the Daymakers to the stock harness on an 01 FLTR. I was given a reference point of J05443 which you can find on HTT in the HD Bulletin section of the forum. good information but it does not give item 20's specific part number for comparison. My specific part number for the harness to the lights is 70423-98. Thanks for any help that you can provide..
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Did some searchin the innernet to see if I could find you some info...Heh, I found your thread on the RG forum..but no info...I think the difference is like what they said there....maybe a call to the MOCO will get you the info you're after...Like one of the guys said the MSRP is $795 on this side of the border...

If there's a will there's a way...lot of coin to spend and have to modify right off the bat to make it work:eek:
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You can get them in the $500 range, and as long as the connections to your headlights
    are standard H4 (3 prong, hi, lo, ground) connectors they will fit.

There is no special connections, no wires to alternative power, no extra switches
    as long as your mounting points in the outer faring are the three adjuster screws with
    the green plastic retainers at top and on each side of the bottom then you are golden.

You will have to remove the bubble, and the Daymakers come with a new plastic surround in black that you have to use as the glass reflector covers, which are rock proof, unlike the ones you have now, are larger.

In short it's plug n play..
  4. JohnnyBiker

The info on these headlights is very limited for sure. I am having a lot of people telling me a lot of different information about these and it is getting hard to distinguish what is good information and what is not. I agree, that is a lot of coin to drop even though I will get them at a discounted price.
  5. hotroadking

Actually it's pretty clear IMHO if you read what I posted, I have them and installed them myself...
  6. Lucifer

Seems what JB's problem is with his '01 is the headlight wiring is a single head light plug and an interconnect harness to plug into the headlight plug and the 2 lights on the RG...Previous to '04 the RG harnesses were the same as the FLH's and in '04 they changed them to separate runs for each light(no single head light connector)...
    I'm sure it could be wired in to work,maybe just have to make up your own interconnect harness(if that's the right term) and you'd be good to go...and if not some Canuck would probably buy it from him because they're almost $800 plus applicable taxes in the Great White North...
  7. Lucifer

Do you have 1 or 2 of the H4's on yours?? I think JB's has only one connector...

Do you have a schematic of the kit,you can post?? There's a reason HD say's it'll only fit '04-up ....I think they musta changed headlight wiring a little in '04...and if the headlight assembly itself will bolt right in...getting power to it shouldn't be that hard...
  8. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of these HID xenon light kits w/ballast? I see them on internet and of course they prommiss the world. But the price I see is very tempting. Are they any better than stock head light ?
  9. JohnnyBiker

Lucifer, I will scan the parts manual pages that show the harness and then the description that my bike is equipped with a little later.
  10. Lucifer

I have an '03 parts book...same part number for the head light adapter and I found the instruction sheet for the kit....

Just by looking at schematics I think you have a few options...most expensive and labor is an -04 interconnect harness if all the other connectors on it are the same as yours(except the headlight)....or modify you headlight adapter by putting the connecters on the end the same as the jumper ends that go into the new lights...or splice in another 3 prong connecter into your head light feed from your interconnect harness and use the jumper that comes with the kit...
    I don't want to say "Do it this way" because I'd really like to see it(your headlight harness,adapter harness and the kit jumper (20) before I did anything...
  11. JohnnyBiker

Ok, I have the harness that splits into two connectors. 1 to each headlight so I have a Y that runs from the main plug then Y's off. I will scan the pages now.
  12. JohnnyBiker

Here is what I have from my parts manual....

Attached Files:

13. JohnnyBiker

Just by looking closer at the jumper kit (20), it looks like a lot of work to get that wiring the same. What is that pig tail that is on (20) jumper kit? I see that it is a jumper but where is it attaching? Sorry when it comes to electrical stuff, I hate it and I always have......
  14. Lucifer

Not sure what it is...maybe a ground wire... that's why I'd like to have both harnesses in my hand and see your bike's harness...
    HRK hooked up the same lights,he'd know what it is....
  15. hotroadking

the only thing I could see being an issue is if the LED pulls too much power
    to run off one one leg

Technically the Y harness should supply the correct connections, there
    are two H4 connectors from the harness with the LED that connects to the
    dual connections on my bike.

so technically he could connect to his because he has two (Y) H4
    outputs from the Y

having said that I forgot about pre 04 and the Y I'd opt to do the interconnect
    like Lucifer was saying so you have two connectors, I'd have to look
    at my 11 harness diagram to see how it's run back to the fuse block

Charlie, skip the HID, it's do able but you have to change the stock headlight
    to HD's dual bulb light to get a reflector that will put out the proper
    pattern, stock HD reflectors put out the wrong pattern more light than
    stock but not as good as LED and by the time you buy a $150 HId dual (hi/lo) bulb
    (get a good one, the cheap ones fog up the hd lens) install it and $200 for the hd reflector you could have a good Kuryakyn LED

Call CAphil for a deal on the Kuryakyn headlight probably in the $300 range
    or John at Horny toad HD for a deal on the HD LED.

LED smokes HID and stock by a long way...

Plus LED is plug in play no ballast, no relays, no splice, no power to fuse to battery
    wires under tank.

Phase 7 Headlights & Passing Lamps | Lighting | Küryakyn

BTW Kuryakyns headlight is made by Trucklight
    http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NewProductsView?storeId=10001&langId=-1
  16. JohnnyBiker

Ok, so then are you basically saying that I can plug jumper (20) into the individual connectors that my (Y) connecter supplies. For a lack of better term, daisy chain it?
  17. hotroadking

Yes but we need to see what the load is on the circuit or you could
    burn up wires and or blow relays and fuses.

I only see one adjustment screw on the diagram but its a parts diagram
    the headlight bezel with the reflectors, do they have three bolts coming off
    the back one top center and two lower each side, if so then you have
    the correct mounting points.

the Y harness would "technically hook up" but I'd be concerned about
    the amp draw of the LED.

I'll have to find the box with instructions.
  18. JohnnyBiker

How would an LED draw more power? Those lights from what I was told has the equalizer built in. shouldn't they draw less power?

What do you need me to post? A copy of the wiring diagram from my bike?
  19. JohnnyBiker

If you look at items 24 and 25 on the second attachment it shows a quantity of three each so I am going to safely assume that I have the correct mounting points.
  20. hotroadking

No we need to know that the LED draw is X amps, to operate the unit
    and that your harness will supply that without overheating and burning up the unit