1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Head pipes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by hoodrulesrk, Apr 4, 2010.

1. hoodrulesrk

hoodrulesrk New Member

Any thoughts on going with true duals? I don't want to lose any low to mid range. I know that a crossover pipe is good, but....
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

on what? how do you ride? what other mods have been done?
  3. 59panhead

59panhead New Member

true duals are good! with a good set of mufflers you'll have good back pressure....but a 2 into 1 system wil be the Best for HP, ease of tuning, and The design of a Harley Engine!
    A 2 into 1 exhaust is the best exhaust for a V-Twin Motor !
  4. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

If it was I'd have one on the street bikes & the race bike too, but I don't. They only work in a range approximately 1500 rpm wide, typically 3000 - 4500 rpm & all create a big torque dip in the 2500 rpm range. Not enough room here to fully explain why & I have in some older posts when the format was a bit different.

Now, for those who normally ride in the range that the 2-1 works best in, it is the best setup for them, but if you want a lot of low-end "grunt", and/or a smooth & more linear power progression from off-idle to redline, a 2-1 is not the best choice.

Below are the torque numbers from dyno runs with a 1200 Sportster, comparing the stock 2-2 exhaust, with crossover & Screamin' Eagle (Cycle Shack type) slip-ons, with a Bub 2-1 system. I'm using the torque figures rather than HP since HP is just a mathematical function of torque & more relevant to normal day-to-day riding. The bold numbers are the higher of the 2 torque figures in any given rpm range:

rpm / 2-2 / 2-1

2000 | 57.7 | 61.2
    2500 | 65.6 | 52.1
    3000 | 64.3 | 65.5
    3500 | 66.8 | 74.1
    4000 | 71.2 | 77.0
    4500 | 74.6 | 72.7
    5000 | 75.3 | 67.6
    5500 | 74.0 | 65.4
    6000 | 70.8 | 63.4

So there you have it - the exact numbers will vary from bike to bike & exhaust system to exhaust system, but the overall pattern will still emerge - the 2-1 system has a big torque dip, then comes on with a surge, pulls strong in a narrow rpm range, then fades away.

And as I mentioned in another recent post, the idea that "backpressure" is a good thing is wrong. Don't know where the idea came from & it's been around forever, but it's still wrong - backpressure is always bad.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  5. hoodrulesrk

hoodrulesrk New Member

Sorry, I've got a Road King
  6. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

The laws of physics aren't any different for a Road King (or any H-D) than they are for a Sportster.
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Art thank's for the info & lay out you did , I run the V&H true dules On my E glide & the only difference I noticed was all the heat out from under my right lower cheek , & the wife on her right ankle & foot :D