1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Head replacement

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by m1a5h50, Apr 18, 2013.

1. m1a5h50

m1a5h50 Active Member

12 flhtci 103. gonna have kirby vee twin racing do my heads. dealer sezs per hd once u remove the heads relieve the pressure the rebuild should be from the base cylinder 10 hrs labor any thoughts had 02 flhtci head work done a few times but never to the base cylinder only when i had a big bore kit installed did they go to the base of the cylinder. local shop here guys has some nice stuff. also when reinstalling the heads gonna install a .040 gasket to bump up compression to 10.5:1 so am i chancing it not to rebuild all the way?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

when you remove the heads you don't want to turn the crank or it will lift the cly off the base, twin cams use o-ring base gaskets not the old flat gaskets, so you don't have to redo the cylinders unless you pull them up and fubar the o-rings.

Once you get the heads off, take some pvc pipe cut 2 to 3 inch long (approx) 8 pieces, then put them over the head bolts and snug them down the pvc mimics the space the head would take up when installed, this will keep the cyl snug in case the flywheel is inadvertently rotated.
  3. hotroadking

Test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I think its working CB
  5. hotroadking

Thread isn't locked.
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Must be on his end
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I know Kirby posts on this forum so he might be able to weigh in on this.
  8. djl

djl Active Member

No need to cut PVC; just pickup some 1/2" couplings and use as described by hotroadking. I use two at opposite corners of the cylinder.

[​IMG]
  9. hotroadking

Yep that will work as well
    I cut the pvc because I had about 6 ft of it in the garage LOL
  10. 99Fatboy

99Fatboy Active Member

Right now I can't remember the cometic gaskets my wrench used on my EVO when putting the wisco pistons in. When having my head work later down the line, he was able to use the same procedure. MLS just came to mind,,,
  11. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

not to be a smart asss but on the second question that you asked as to head gasket selection, ask kirby as to cutting head and gasket options for his recomendations on compression ratio. another factor is calculated compression vs cranking cyl. pressure, relative to cam selection. stock vs more increased overlap timing that reduces cranking compression. if you send out parts for mods ask there recomendations from the provider for the best results. thanks to BP in other threads for pointing this out to other people in the dark. do not look for the easy way out.