1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Head swap

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Brach77, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Brach77

Brach77 New Member

I have an 88 TC and have heard that I can swap the heads off a 96 TC and gain some performance. Is this true or just someone blowing smoke. Sorry if this has been covered before but I could find any info on it.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

What yr 88 tc ? I swapped my 03 heads for 06 heads , I was told there better then the 03
  3. Brach77

Brach77 New Member

my bad its an 02. I was told that also, but just want some more feed back.
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

5. cowboy

You will have to change the intake flanges the 06 heads. Are different
  6. Smarty

Smarty New Member

Flowing better doesn't mean great. What most people mean is if you have an 06 and newer bike, you can do like an Andrews 26 cam, a/c, and mufflers and it will work very well together. Any more cam than that and you need to do real head work by a quality head guy.
  7. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

the `06 heads have a larger ex port and slightly raised int port,they will flow alittle better but are no substitute for even a street ported set of heads
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  8. Brach77

Brach77 New Member

so with that being said, and given the cost for the newer heads, I'm assuming that it would be better to have my 88 heads worked and swap out the cams?,

Not to side track but here's my problem. I bought the bike used with V&H pipes and SE AC. Was told that was all the work that had been done. Not true, found that some one had played with the carb (not for the better mind you) rebuilt the carb with a kit from Ken and she really started to run better.

Also discovered that the cam chest has been off before and don't know why. My guess is that the tensioner had been replaced but a friend of mine said it ran much better then his so maybe cam work??? I'm working with a very limited budget so i don't want to waste money on parts or labor if its not necessary. Got a killer deal on the bike just hate not knowing what "if"
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Unless you got the heads for next to nothing...you'd be better off getting yours worked...
  10. cowboy

This is about my set up , on my 03 E glide , complete 06 top end new take off & I had 61 k on the bike works great , i'am just now happy with the andrews 26 , They work great , but slowed MY crusing speed down a bit , I cruse around 75-80 ,& these cams rase the rpm a bit at those speed , other then that they are good cams , will pull that bagger up to speed real easy :cool: