1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Headlight help

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hot01, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Hopefully I'll have this figured out by the time I get back to my computer, but...

Came out to show off my bike to some folks before heading home and no headlight. :rant: One of the guys led me home, thankfully without passing any cops, which is rare around here. I'm about to head down and see what's going on, but if you want to give me some suggestions on what to look for in case I don't figure it out myself, I'd be grateful.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Just double check the wires might just came loose since they had her apart to paint , or the bulb went out
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

what cowboy said, and the head light fuse. does it work on either beam?
    if none of these, there is a bundle of wires under the tank. they come out at the rear of the tank, then down under the seat to the electrical box. check these wires for pinching/scrapes/broken. keep us posted.........:)
  4. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Wouldn't I have to take the tank off?

I don't think it's the bulb, but I didn't even think to try it on high. Doh. It's not the fuse. If I had a meter, could I test the electricity getting to the bulb rather than taking the tank off the bike?
  5. chucktx

yes you could. an inexpensive meter can be had from an auto parts store. make sure it is a digital. you need to aproach this one step at a time and eliminate as you go. we will teach you to be an electrical wizard before your through!!!!!!!!!!!! lol lol
    have you pulled the bucket to check the wiring???
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I pulled the bulb out and it looks OK. I'm about to go down now and see if it will work on high. I pulled the seat off and checked the fuse and all the connections under there. That looks OK. The tape on the wire from the headlight to the frame is showing wires, but nothing looks compromised. I'll probably run to the super-duper-all-night wally world and get a meter. I have one somewhere from my phone-babe days, but I can't find it. :witsend:
  7. chucktx

let us know...............:)
  8. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

actually i will ruffle chucks feathers for a second, an analog is the better more accurate meter, but the digital is easier, (see I didn't even have to disagree:D ) ifn you have to you can get by with a lightbulb and wire but i do recommend the digy meter, then you will be able to check the voltage to the socket then disconnect the battery and do an OHM test down the system to find the open cause if it were a short you would have blown a fuse or let the smoke out of some thing, and i would guess that the replacement parts and work done has stretched the wires a little to far
  9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

well it works on high. I feel pretty stupid, but really glad that's all it is. I thought I had better troubleshooting skills than that. The two times I've had to change the bulb was because it was shattered. The next time I'll know. :banghead:

Have I ever told you guys that I love you?:D
  10. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I wonder if I can count running from the garage to my third floor apartment 4 times as exercise.
  11. chucktx

glad ya got it abby!!!!!!! see, you are now a certified headlight tech!!!!!:D ;)
  12. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I was so sure the wiring was screwed up because they had the tank off. I am so relieved that's not it.
  13. chucktx

you may be correct with the analog, but the cheap ones at the autoparts stores are not. a simpson yes.....but also the "handyman" probably does not know how to "zero" an analog. good call on the wire and bulb....sure does work in a pinch.....and the dark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
  14. chucktx

let keep our fingers crossed that the new one doesnt blow........maybe get a couple of them......and it wouldnt be a bad move to get that meter.........:)
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You might want to invest in a better light bulb, at Wally World they sell sylvannia Silverstar bulbs, H4 is the type of bulb you want, it has three prongs on the rear for connection. They are not cheap at $19 each but well worth it, as they are at least 4 times as bright/white as a standard $5 halogen bulb.

1) It has a bright white light (close to HID as you can get) so everthing looks brighter as it's closer to sunlights color, a good thing
    2) Don't touch the bulb with your hand or fingers, use a paper towel or tissue to hold it oil from fingers reduces the life of the bulb
    3) you can get them in two packs and keep one in an old film canister in your bags wrapped in a paper towel to protect it.
  16. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

My headlight is a sealed beam. The bulb is not separate from the rest of it, unfortunately. Do they sell them anywhere other than a dealership? I lucked out last time and was at a small shop at the beginning/end of Tail of the Dragon when I had to replace it and got a Drag bulb for $14. The time before that was at a dealership in Milwaukee during the 100th and paid something like $35.

Maybe I should Google for a small shop.

Looks like Harley sells a halogen replacement, with a bulb that can be replaced when it blows. But $90! Does that sound right? That's for the whole thing, not just the bulb.
  17. duke76

duke76 New Member

I replaced that to the new style like you are talking about on my 85 fxrs. oem starting in 05, and yes 90 dollars is about right. Todd
  18. chucktx

measure across the lens....if it is the same as an older auto, a #6014 in a halogen should be available at wally world or autoparts. i would go there before the dealer for any electrical part. same stuff, different prices.......:)
  19. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Score! $8.99 at Checkers.:D
  20. whacker

whacker Active Member

I use to have a sealed beam...kept blowing the low beam....I went to the halogen...and had no more problems...Good luck...Hot01