1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Heard from the VA today

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Jan 13, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Some of you know I got some heart issues but you probably don't know I had a 5 by-pass and a heart valve repair that was leaking three years ago. Got a letter today from the VA where they said that because I was in Vietnam and exposed to Agent Orange that they are saying the Agent Orange caused my heart issues. I recently went through some extensive testing for the heart up at the VA hospital. The results showed heart damage, already knew that. They decided to compensate me at 60% and its retroactive back to July when they first wanted to talk to me. Well I'm paying the Harley loan off when the check arrives.
    Personally I would rather be well without any issues and they could keep their money. So anyone one that was in Nam and is having any heart issues, you need to go in. I can now retire this coming November. :)
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

wow....dont know what to say. very sorry to hear about the heart, but good to hear that the govt. is starting to man up. gonna be nice to pay the bike off.........
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

i can remember some time back you said something about have your heart fixed , But the good news is the Gov is saying that there at fault good luck with the rest
  4. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Sounds like a new bike in yer future. Take it easy and enjoy.:)
  5. FLHTbiker

Just got a new bike, don't need another one.
  6. olbill

olbill Active Member

Thats great news FLHT i know Monday you mentioned what was going on i glad to hear the vets owned up i know it don't repair the heart but it will make your life a little better as you know i belong to the zipper club also live for the day and may the sun always be on your back.

olbill
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

congratulations on the VA stepping up, better to be the heart than just about anything else. The medical field can do a lot for the heart, as you know already.
    I'd pay that bike off to and then start to really enjoy it.
  8. FLHTbiker

The VA finally this last summer has admitted that all servicemen no matter what branch of service is giving out benefits for agent orange and heart issues if you were in Vietnam. Got a friend who has a horrible skin disorder all over his hands and is now having heart issues. He was awarded compensation on the skin issue that has covered his hands from agent orange. He spent a whole year in country there. He is now having heart issues to. That agent orange stuff really sucks. Wonder what kind of issues the Vietnamese people are having from the stuff.
    Wife still don't want me to retire yet but come November I'm done.
  9. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Thanks for this information FLHT, my dad was in Nam and he had a really bad heart attack about 9 years ago. I think that I am going to tell him to inquire about this because he was just talking about agent orange.

BTW, I hope that you are doing better.;)
  10. FLHTbiker

Get tired easier and got to watch it more. The worst part is what they want you to eat. :puke:
  11. JohnnyBiker

Yeah he does get tired a pretty easy. I have watched my dad dislike life more and more every year since his heart attack. :( His ambition is nothing that it used to be that's for sure.
  12. FLHTbiker

How old is he? If he is still young enough get him on a motorcycle:D
  13. JohnnyBiker

My dad is 64. I have been slowing working on him about a bike but he is pretty stubborn. When he was 17 he almost bought an Indian Chief but his dad told him that he could have it. My dad has always said that he kind of never forgave his dad for that. I would have bought it anyways!!
  14. FLHTbiker

Me to, its what helps keep yea young and feeling good.
  15. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

A good woman helps also!