1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Heart Attack and now back

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Feb 29, 2008.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Not an easy post for me but on the 16th I had a pretty bad heart attack and underwent open heart surgery plus a heart valve repair. Maybe I should not even post it but just wanted to let some know why I have not been around. I had no indications of it coming on until it happened and I collapsed in my shop while working on my EL Camino. I spent 12 days in the hospital and feel fortunate to be hear. I guess I've been given a new lease on life and plan on doing a lot of things differently. Can't ride for 2 months so that is going to be hard. Funny, the first thing I asked the heart surgeon when he came up to my room in the hospital and asked if I had any questions was how long before I could get back on my Harley. He looked at me very seriously and said 8 weeks also for any thing stupid.
    The hardest part now is all the work I'm loosing in my business for the next 3 months and no income. They tell me that once better I'm going to feel like a new person. Maybe I'll take up snow skiing. Anyway thought I would let you all know.
  2. fireitup

fireitup New Member

Heart surgery

I'm glad you made it back. You will be fine. When they did the surgery they fix the arteries to the heart as you probubly already know. So you now have blood flow to the heart like when you were younger. Its a second lease. Its amazing what the cardioligists can do. And you have a good Doctor lot of Doctors just stent people. And stents are no good. Yes you have to give all that time for it to heal. Its major surgery. And it involves a total change in life style if you want to keep things healthy. It involves diet. And cardiovascular type excersize like walking, biking, not motorcycle, swimming, 30 minutes a day every day of cardio type excersize. Keep an eye on fat intake and cholesteral. A good cardiologist will tell you no more than 200 milligrams a day of cholesteral. Your body makes cholesteral in the liver. It doesn't need anymore in it. That is why they stress those guideline. Healthy fats omega 3's you get from walnuts like 15 a day, salmon, alborecore tuna without the mayo. and other food i can't think of off hand. Can you get someone to help you with your business? Don't worry about things. Stress is not good either. Stay away from any foods that are fried including donuts they are the worse thing to eat. You will do fine. fireitup
  3. 02dyna

02dyna New Member

Good to hear your ok. Give it time your bike and your shop will be there when you can get back to them. Your health is more important now. Hope you are up and around soon.
  4. stevenh

stevenh New Member

Good luck with the recovery. Every one I know that's come out of heart surgery has eventually felt better than they could remember for a long time.
  5. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Glad ta hearyou're on the mend. I count my blessings everytime I wake up. I'm given another chance to try and get it right. I may not, but at least I'm given another chance thanks to the Great Dude up in the sky. I hope the time off the bike goes quickly for ya and I'll keep ya in my prayers dude!!!:)
  6. bikerputz

bikerputz New Member

WHOW!!! Glad your OK. Get well soon.
  7. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Glad to see your still with us.:) The Doc is right, you will feel like a new person, I know a few people that went through the same thing. Follow the Doc's orders and you'll be rollin in no time.:D
  8. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Good to hear that you are on the mend! Now is a good time to make all those life style changes that you have been putting off!!! :rolleyes: Take it easy, follow docs instructions, and you will be up and riding soon enough!
  9. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Good luck to you and hope your up in no time at all....the work will wait on you...thank god for a second chance.I too was given a second chance 12 years ago.I had the angio and stent done and it has held up great.You will be up and running soon.
  10. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Wow! I'm so glad you got the care you needed. Were you able to call someone, or did someone find you? I'm sorry you're going to be out of work. That's one of the things that worries me about being self-employed, or I should say why I'm not self employed. But it's only the first of March. People in New England won't be riding for another 2 months anyway, so don't feel like you're missing anything.

Please take care of yourself and keep us updated. On my stepmom website we have all kinds of "hug" smilies. I guess that's too sissy for a biker site, but if there was one, I'd put it here. :)
  11. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I'm sure you're in good hands and you will have a complete recovery. I know it may not seem that way now but you are fortunate that it wasn't worse.

A friend of mine has a pacemaker/defribulator in is chest to keep him going. With him the heart itself is damaged. His next step will be a tranplant.

Good luck. Rest up and do as the doctor says. You'll be riding in no time and working again all too soon.
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts guys, means a lot. Abbey, I was buy myself in my shop at home. I came to and crawled from the shop to the house to get my wifes attention. Yea, the surgeon was great they were originally going to do a double by-pass but decided to fix all of them so I had a 5 by-pass surgery done. Yep, the diet change is a must and is going to happen don't want to go through this ever again. I'm not much of a fish eater but know I've got to make some of those changes. Chicken and Turkey are already starting to get old. I know one thing so much of the foods at the stores are full salts, fats, cholesterol and other stuff that is bad fore you and it makes it hard to eat right. Soon as I can I'm going to get on a regular exercise program.
  13. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

Wow, this is a serious wakeup call. All of us getting up in years need to be correcting all the bad habits we've developed when we were younger. You younger folks need to start now!!:rolleyes: Thank God it sounds like you got everything fixed up and on the road to recovery. Take the time it takes to get your strength back before getting back on the road. Good luck.
    Slim
  14. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Wow Marc! I'm glad you're coming back around. I remember my scare a year and a half ago and vowed to make some life changes. I've changed the diet, I've negotiated my last collective agreement and should be done as a union officer in a couple of months, I'm putting in less hours at work, probably too many still but that's going to slow down too. We got a smoking deal on a '07 Mustang GT convertible so we'll get some quality driving time as well as riding time, I'm not big on Fords but they did a nice job in this car.
    Things are going to be different for you now and a lot of it will be for the better. The doctor is giving you good advice, follow it and you'll be up on two wheels in no time. I don't eat donuts and most of the foods I eat have 0 trans fats. I know chicken and turkey can get old at times but what I think you could do is get one of those health smart cook books..Chapters should have 'em. We're using weight watchers books here in this household and there are some wicked good ways to prep chicken, pork, fish. We're getting to the stage here where going out for a meal is a step down in eating enjoyment. My job is still fairly physical and I try to get out skiing and playing hockey...just play the summer hockey, not as competitive, more fun and the players are better skilled. Exercise is good for you, take it easy getting in to it. You're pretty close to some fantastic seafood and there's a bizillion different ways you can prepare that.
    Just work on getting yourself heathy and happy, the rest of the stuff will be there for you when you're back.
    Bob
  15. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

Remember, if it tastes good, spit it out.
  16. jturuk

jturuk New Member

WOW! Thank goodness you're OK. Hope you're mended up and back on your Harley REAL SOON!!

John
  17. SK

SK New Member

Damn Marc..so glad you got through it ok. Now it's time to make those changes. Good exercise would be to drive to the coast with your wife and take some long walks on the beach. Walking is one of the best exercises for you.

I eat lots of chicken. There are so many ways to cook it..just don't fry it (damn..and I like fried chicken too!). Ever see those $4.99 cooked chickens at CostCo? Best damn buy in the store.
  18. gutierg

gutierg New Member

Wow Man! Glad to hear you are OK and you were taken care of! Take care of yourself, easy does it.

Bike and shop will be there waiting for you, but you have to be healthy. My best to you.

Regards,
    German
  19. fireitup

fireitup New Member

5 by pass wow

Do you know what diet is good? My cardiologist is into the mediterranean diet. They're lots of cook books out there but it consists of lots of salads. and you can do a lot with a salad. All kinds of fruits, pinenuts, walnuts,veggies, use your imagination. stay away from dressings they're loaded with fat. Almonds, garlic, onions, use lots of herbs and stuff like that instead of salt. The grocery store is a nightmare. Except for the fruits and veggies and plain yogurt. Everyone looks like they have been eating hostess twinkies all there lives. Its sad what corporate food mongrels have done to the american public with there hydrogenated crap on the shelves for years. But you can find some good stuff at the grocery store. Rice is good and lots of wholegrain cereals, oatmeal is real good for yu with walnuts, cinamon, bluberrys etc. Well I'll get off the nagging train. I mean well. God bless you. fireitup[/FONT]
  20. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

very sorry to hear of your condition, but i am very glad your posting!!!!! as has been said...listen to the doc.....take care, be safe and be carefull!!!:)