1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Heat management system

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Dec 22, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

For some how for some time I have been on a Harley survey that comes out about once a month or so from HD. This last one had a few questions about the heat management system. The questions was how do you turn the heat management system on or off. Well living here in the Pacific NW I've really never had to even worry about it. But now I wonder how do you turn it on, does it have to be activated by a Harley dealer?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i dont worry bout the heat, but ask em how the heck ya turn on the a/c???????

i thought the heat sensor was an automatic thing....when the engine gets hot it kills a cylinder.......
  3. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

engine idle temp management system(eitms) they come from fact. disabled but will automatically activate whenever the bike comes to a complete stop and is idling during elevated temp. conditions. ENABLING/DISABLING EITMS 1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and push engine OFF/RUN switch to the run position(do not start the bike). 2.Push the throttle to roll-off position and hold. 3. After approx. 3 seconds, the cruise indicator lamp will either flash green (EITMS enabled) or red (EITMS enabled). flashing lamp indicates EITMS setting. A solid (non flashing) lamp indicates cruise control setting. 4. Repeat procedure to enable or disable EITMS. l EITMS setting remains in effect until changed and does not need to be re-done with each start-up.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  4. FLHTbiker

I stopped at the HD dealer and talked to the service manager. I found out from them that sense I have a Race Turner installed that the Race Tuner disables the heat management system from being turned on manually. But it will come on automatically when the engine temp gets to hot. My bike has a Race tuner installed.
  5. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

FLHT could you tell me what race tuner you have and if you ran your 09 without it or did you put it on when new, and are you nhappy with it. Just curious THANKS.
  6. FLHTbiker

I put it on right after I purchased the bike new in October of 08. I don't have any problems with it but I Know that any changes that I make to the bike that will affect the air fuel I will have to bring it to the dealer. As for the unit it is the newest race tuner out. Bike runs great and the mileage is good, 44-48 MPG.