1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Heated Grips

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Oct 27, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Been doing some research for some heated grips for my 09 Ultra as riding in the winter gets cold and wet. Harley grips sets won't work as they say anyway. I came across this site today. Although the Heat Demons are not new they now have a solution for the 08 and up bikes with the Throttle by Wire. Here is a link
    and you can click on the install directions which is interesting.

HARLEY BLACK ELECTRONIC THROTTLE TOURING
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Had a set of Harley heated grips they burned out when I used them on a trip to Bullhead City, got caught in a slush (rain & snow) going over Red Mountain pass and when I stoped to fill up they never did come back on. They aren’t cheap either, now I use heated gloves from Gerbing, the wire is a pain but they really work, have used them on all day rides with out any trouble.
    Thanks for the link to the web site.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the thing with heated grips is the controller is in the left grip, the low side when parked. water will drain down there and screw up the works.......if i were wanting heated hands i would opt for the gloves also.......
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

don't think I have ever heard good about heated grips ,the few i know who had them say they worked good till it got wet , if I was to wose out i would have to go heated gloves
  5. FLHTbiker

I've heard a lot of good comments about the Heat Demons. Your right the Harley heated grips are very expensive and don't work well. I rode to our HOG chapter meeting tonight, was about 40 degrees out when I left. The return trip home was really cold out and turned on the heated liner and gloves. The heated glove wires are a pain in the asss but do work well.

Hey I won the 50/50 tonight first time. $314.00 was the amount. Now I'm gonna get the Wild 1 chubby mini apes for the 09 ultra. :D
  6. horse

horse New Member

Hey new to this site, first post.

Heated grips are one way to go but are limited what they can do. Heating is done from the palms of you hands so every time you reach for clutch or brake you loose heat. Their OK for short rides and less efficient on long trips.

Heated gear is more like sitting in a toaster with heat all around you. I use Gerbings, Gloves, Jacket liner (not the vest) Pants liner and have heated socks but will upgrade to heated boot insoles this year.

Recent 1000 mile weekend trip around Washington would have been unbearable without heated gear. Day time temps in the low 40's and nights down to the high 20's.

Just a rider and have no affiliation with Grerbings except as a very satisfied customer. With a lifetime guarantee on their products it's worth the investment.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I've heard the same..

do they have any air conditioned stuff?

It's still in the 90's here phew!
  8. horse

horse New Member

Not Gerbings but several others offer cooling vests such as Tech Niche or Chill Out Design
  9. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Come on over here, you won't be to hot, I just came in from shoveling snow, it is now 26 degrees with snow showers, :cussing:
  10. FLHTbiker

I would move south for the winter.

As for Heated gear I have the heated liner and the heated gloves. I hate all the wires everytime you just want to keep the hands warm. They work fine after you get finally all hooked up. There has been many times when I have been out riding and didn't have the heated gear with me and the ability to turn on the heated grips would be nice. With me it is usually the finger tips that get really cold due to poor circulation in the hands even when wearing thick gloves.
    So, I ordered my new heat demons along with the Wild 1 mini chubby bars and stainless steel internally lubed clutch cable today. With the Wild 1 bars there is no alterations to the them when installing the heat demons. Looking forward to it as winter riding is coming. Will be running the wires up through the bars and with the Wild 1 575 bars I shouldn't have to replace the throttle by wire cable with a longer one.
  11. chucktx

links????
  12. FLHTbiker

13. cowboy

we have the AC on in the house tonight , might look into the cool vest , my sister-in-law has some heated jacket & stuff says it great
  14. FLHTbiker

The last time I sweated 12 months out of the year was when I was in Vietnam. I gotta say I do like the 4-seasons and especially the fall colors when all the leaves turn.
  15. cowboy

this part of TX has two seasons hot & hotter makes good riding most of the year :rolleyes:
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

yep here its hot, sunny and humid or

really dang hot, sunny and or raining and humidity over 100% and that's before 8 am
  17. chucktx

well it is 79 off the back porch right now at 1722hrs......and the humidity is right up there with the temps!!!!!!
  18. FLHTbiker

Well its 45 degrees here on the back patio and its raining :(