1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Heated HD HandGripe Problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by EPS, Oct 4, 2007.

1. EPS

EPS New Member

Hello All, its been awhile since I last posted but fall is here and I'm ready to ride. But first I would like to get my heated handgrips working. They were OK last year when I rode to Daytona Bikeweek. I need some help troubleshooting.

The HD installation bulletin provides a troubleshooting guide but it is unclear in some areas.
    Step 5: says to check for "12VDC across the Red and Black wires of the handgrip main wire harness. " However, the red wire is essentially connected to the battery B+ terminal through the ignition relay, and the black wire is connected directly to the B- terminal. Since my bike (03 Road King) starts and runs fine the ignition relay is OK. So HD is saying to check for 12V across my battery.... that makes no sense to me. Unless I cut into the handgrip main harness I do know how to do this test.
    Any thoughts or suggestions????

I checked the red wire fuse and its OK.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if you have checked for 12v to the handgrips, red wire should be positive and black should be negative, then the problem is probably in the grips. you might be able to use a test light to probe the hot wire for current. another thing is you can take the pos and neg wires to the grips and use an ohm meter. see if the wires are connected all the way through the grips. if not the grip is the problem. i have never had any grips, just trying to walk through a simple electrical problem....hope this helps a bit..:)

curious....do the grips have a thermostat of some kind?? maybe an internal one so as not to overheat, and maybe some time of a sensing probe to operate the thermostat??
  3. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

Chuck nailed it. I would still check the voltage and check for continuity through the heating elements in the grips. It shouldn't be a dead short but a relatively low resistance....3-4 ohms I would guess. Are the grips powered individually? Are both not working?
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

My buddy's 06 CVO grips just quit on him up in the mountains, according to the dealer there has been a rash of bad switches, so he's going to get his fixed.

You can check the fuse and it's fine, and you have power, the problem probably is the sam as his, the switch inside the grip.

JMO
  5. EPS

EPS New Member

Heated Handgrip problem

Thanks everyone for your reply. I pulled the fuse and put an ohm meter across the cold side of the fuse ( handgrip side) to B-. Resistance was very high so I guess my switch is gone.

JMO where did you friend buy a switch and how is it replaced?

Does anyone know what the third wire (O/W) is for?

Thanks Ed
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

He just went to the HD dealer and had them replace the switch, so it's an HD part you can do it yourself.