1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Heel/Toe Shifters

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by AZroaddust, Mar 2, 2007.

1. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

I kinda like the look and the idea of up-shifting with the heel and down-shifting with the toe, or having the option of just using the forward lever like a stock shifter.

Anyone have anything goood or bad to say about these before I convert? (Does it get in the way of your left foot when cruising, etc.??)

This would be for my XLH 883 Piglet.

Thanks in advance!
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I have heal/toe shifter for my bike.....(E Glide Standard).....not sure how it will work on the 883, but I know that it takes a day or 2 for getting used to it....NOW, am not sure I could go back to just toe shifting!! :rolleyes: One thing I like, is that now I am not carving up/dinging up the top of my shoes/boots with the toe lift. Tops of all footware is in great shape now days!! there is something like 11 or 12 inches (maybe a bit more) between shift pegs, so not in the way for me...now if you wear size 15 shoes.....not sure!..I would go to the stealer, sit on some of the floor bikes that HAVE it, see how your foot fits....then make sure that if/when you put it on piglet, that you get the same type of placement and lengths.
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I have them on my Heritage but also have floor boards. Not sure how it would work on a sportster. I've riden for so many years with toe-only shifters that I've never really gotten into using the heel on this bike, even though its been on my ride for the past 4 years.
  4. SK

SK New Member

I'd have to say it's personal preference. I had a heel/toe shifting on my Royal Star and got tired of not being able to put my left foot further back like my right foot when I got in the twisties and wanted to sit more upright with my feet more under my butt. I changed it to a toe shifter only and prefer it. My lady friend has a new Softtail Deluxe and she's only 5' tall..so really likes the heel/toe shifter now that she's gotten used to it..didn't like it at first because it was different. So it's really personal preference overall.

One thing to be wary of is the ability to upshift too hard with your heel and damage the internal workings of the shifter. You need to be able to just click it into gear and not jam it as it'll wear it out. Don't use too much force with your heel on a consistent basis.
  5. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

I appreciate all of the replies. As I thought, I did get a mixed bag because it is a personal preference thing.

My local Harley Stealership has free pizza at noon today, so I may use that as an excuse to sit on a ride and see what I think, but only by cruising for a few hours do I think I'd get the "real feel".

I too move my legs around a lot, sometimes even using the rear passenger pegs just to uncrink things. (I also have the forward controls and pegs which I find much more comfortable than the straight down pegs). I have a feeling that I may stay with what I have.

Thanks again. This group has never let me down and I really enjoy the polite replies!

Ride safe and watch out for road turtles!
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

mine came with heel/toe....eglide....after about 6 months i removed it for a toe only. i would hit it with my foot or catch it with my chaps....it never switched gears getting untangled with it, but.................
    it is a personal preferance tho......
  7. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I haven't taken mine off yet, probably should cause the only thing it doe is get in the way of moving my left foot around. I tried the heel thing but it's too much like work
  8. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

love em

i have them on my softtail and love them. they're really great for cruising wiih your feet up on the highway pegs. you just slap it down with with your heel
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I have them on my E glide , never use the heel to shift , but do use it to keep my foot from sliding back , so it stay's & i'am looking into the heel stop for my right foot ,
    Do you have the heel rest for your forword controls ? My son had them on his wide glide & they are great for riding
    :cheers:
  10. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

I just have hiway pegs on mine and ride like they were forward controls. I up shift and down shift with my heel. Kinda hard to find nuetral thogh. I have to use my toe for that.
  11. chucktx

i do that sometimes.....also use my heel for the rear brake.....
  12. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

leave it to me, to be stuck in the middle.....
    i took my heel shifter knob, and cut it more than half off,leaving just a nubb.gives me the room,to move my foot around,although i still use the toe shifter mainly, but i love the heel shift when finding or looking for neutral, lets just say,me finding neutral , somtimes leads to jesters and rude behavior!!!

TRG
  13. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I got forward controls on my Dyna and I put a set of heel rests on there as well. Don't know if I'd ever use the heel shifter though, too used to toe shiftin'.....
  14. chucktx

many years ago, ya could tell a guy that rode his bike by looking at his left boot top......cant tell ya how many boots i went to due to wearing through the top of my left boot....
  15. Ted

Ted New Member

Boots

Hi All
    I screwed some nice dress boots to on the old BMW. I would tie a rag on the shifter when I had to go someware slicked up.
    Got a Question? What month will the 08 HD bikes come out.
    Thanks Ted.
  16. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

Heel/toe Shifter

WHEN I BOUGHT MY RK I RODE AND RODE IT HOME THE FIRST THING I DID WAS TAKE THE HEEL SHIFTER OFF, I AGREE WITH SLEEPY IT GETS IN WAY , WITH IT OFF I CAN MOVE MY LEFT FOOT AROUND A WHOLE LOT MORE:biker:
  17. Seahag

Seahag New Member

I LOVE having heel/toe shifting. I wouldn't want it any other way; but I wouldn't mind if the heel lever was back another inch or so.

For a bike with footpegs, I'd go with one of Dewey's 'heel hammer' shift levers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adqfRuuPxsQ

scroll down the page and you will see them.:cool:
  18. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Ted, the new HD lineup comes out every year in August...just in time to unveil for Sturgis....you've only got a few more months to wait.:D
  19. Ted

Ted New Member

Thanks Sea hag
    tThat might be a good time to pick up an 07
    Later ted
  20. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

got the heel toe thang going but it took some getting used to I used the toe only for the first couple thousand then decided to try the heel and it does take some getting used to and I also agree it needs to be another inch or so back