1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Helmet suggestions, please

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I have a few helmets already, but I haven't worn them except when I'm forced to or teaching classes. I hate using a windshield and without it, the helmet jerks my head back, my neck gets very fatigued, it's just plain uncomfortable. Even though I've known people who have died and been seriously injured through no fault of their own, I've always felt that because I don't drink, I don't take crazy risks, and I'm a skilled rider, that I'd be able to avoid just about everything. I've always found myself doing what so many people have done to me - assumed that there was something I could have done to avoid the accident. If I'd just... I'm sure that helps everyone sleep at night, but there are times when you just have no control.

Anyway, I'm lucky I didn't hit my head. But I'm not so sure I want to count on luck too much longer. I'd like to find a helmet that won't catch the wind and pull my head back, but I don't want a full face. I still want to have the wind in my face, or I might as well just stop riding. Any suggestions, websites, etc?
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Without a windshield its going to be really hard. A good tight chin strap helps but they choke the crap out of you. A 3/4 helmet also helps and you can get the ones with a shield that drops down. I put a shorter windshield on my softail and it helped push the wind away without pulling my half helmet back.
    I've always been partial to HJC helmets as they seem to fit me really well but what ever make of helmet it is, it's got to fit properly and have a snug fit. Hope that helps.
  3. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

a round front type that has no kinda visor for wind deflection, I have found the same problem, that's how I got a ticket in nevada, the little visor acted like a wind catch and just kept jerking my neck by the chin strap, I use a german stye novelty, not dot and don't know if it would survive after first impact, but it's comfy and doesn't jerk my head around.
  4. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

I'm using a Carbo Fiber helmet theses days. Much lighter than any of my others. They come as DOT or Not. DOT has more padding. Several styles. Not cheap, but...

Advanced Carbon Composites
  5. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Gonna have to git in shape man.
  6. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

FWIW, I'd wear a helmet even if the law didn't require it & I've almost always worn a full, open-face helmet with a sunvisor - pretty much the same as many cops wear. I had a real good full-face that I wore when playing "Ricky Racer" on a Yamaha but I didn't like it because it cut peripheral vision & sound.

With respect to 1/2 & 3/4 helmets, the wind tends to try to lift those off your head & they will not protect very well. A full (open face) helmet I've got has some scratches on the left side - I had the choice between sliding off the road in a left-hand curve or getting hit head-on by a van crossing the centerline. With a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet, no doubt my jaw would have been broken & the left side of my (handsome) face disfigured. That's the only hard hit I've ever had, but it only takes one.

I've ridden a lot without a windshield, but no more. I don't like the big 'shields you look thru & the top of the ones I have are about chin level. You have to get the angle right on those as buffeting behind the 'shield can catch the sunvisor on the helmet & jerk the helmet up, but when you get the angle right, the 'shield & the visor work together. When I get caught in the rain it goes up & over - I may need to tilt my head down a little bit in heavy rain, but the combination keeps the rain out of my face. Bugs too.

I'm fixin' to order a new helmet & it'll be a full open-face too, but extends a little bit on the jawline. If you can picture the helmets old-time NASCAR drivers like Dale Earnhardt, Sr., Bobby Allison, David Pearson, et all wore, that's the type. Having low-sided & smacked the side of my head once is the reason.
  7. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

Helmet Choice

It's Like Buying A Pair Of Good Shoes,you Need To Go Out And Try On The Different Types Of Helmets While Establishing Size,style,protection,ect. Although You Do Want A Windshield Because The Wind Pull On The Helmet Will Eventually Cause Long Term Neck Problems Which Are Very Painful.shop Around.long Rides Without A Helmet Or A Windshield Will Be Very,very Dangerous And The Odds Are Not In Your Favor. Debri On The Road That Can Be Thrown In Your Direction Will Eventually Find You As It's Target And The Damage It May Cause Is Obvious. How Macho Is It To Be Blind,disfigured,paralyzed,or Dead Because You Didn't Listen To The Voice Of Experience.wear A Helmet;get A Windshield!!!!!!!
  8. cardboard

You don't just have to go to harley shops. Go and look at a AVG helment and a Nolan N102. Both helments are modular and both are quick release from the factory. When you find yer side in that helment . you can go online and order one from a helment shop.

YouTube - Megadeth - Peace Sells
  9. FLHTbiker

One of my helmets I wear during foul weather is a Nolan N-42 N-Commy. Good helmet but had to cut the bottom of the flip up clear shield off about an inch. Cut me right across the eyes when flipped up.
  10. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Abby like above you have to try it on , I bought A HJC half shell The first helmet I bought in over 30 yrs , I like it to a point , but that me trying to get used to it , the ear flaps unzip for the heat & ears stay warm in the cold , the small visor unclips for a smooth front :cool: I did a lot of looking on line before I went to look in person
  11. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Yeah, macho, that's what I'm shooting for! :roflmao: Guys are really attracted to manly chicks.

I've always tried my helmets on before buying. You just can't tell without a ride. I was thinking of one like the cops wear, but I think the visor would have to come off to keep it from grabbing the wind so much. I'm practically in Denver. I'm sure there are many places I can go to try them on. Sizes vary so drastically from model to model. I don't think I'd ever buy one online, but maybe if I try one in the store and want a different color or something.
  12. cardboard

He's gonna have to practise leaning forward a little to make the wind hit the top front crown on his helment till he gits some muscles in his neck too.:rant:
  13. FLHTbiker

Now here is a real Macho Man :D :D :D
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  14. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

Macho Rider

Finally A Photo Of Flht! In Case You Haven't Noticed Most Biker Babes Are Nothing Of The Kind. I For One Don'i Require A Woman That Could Possibly Whip My Ass And Dresses As Though She Would. I Am Entitled To My Opinions Because I Fought For The "freedom" To Express Them. I Have Just Discovered A Pet Peeve I Didn't Realize I Had And That Would Be Critics.
  15. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Hey, I was just laughing that you were implying that I wanted to be macho. I kinda assumed you didn't know I'm a girl. That was the joke. Not critics here, just having a good time and sharing knowledge.
  16. FLHTbiker

:wtf: Don't be such a jerk FRSMAS, your getting off to a bad start here. Pissing people off especially when there is no reason to is not a good start here. :(

Your not the only one here that has fought for freedom many of us here have.
  17. FRXMAS

FRXMAS Banned A-Hole

Follow Your Own Advice

Who Do You Think Pissed Me Off To Begin With? I Was Invited To Post Here And Once Again You Just Had To Comment Unnecessarily. The Name Is Frxmas And I Am Well Aware That There Are Many Vets On This Thread.you And Those Like You Flht Are The Reason I Don't Spend A Lot Of Time On This Board. If I Pissed Off Anyone Besides You,i Apologize. As For You,back Off And Take A Good Close Look At Your Statements.you Are By No Means An Authority On Any Subject.
  18. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

this thread appears to be heading into the crapper:mad:
    lets get back on the topic and go on down the road......ok??..........:)
  19. FLHTbiker

So I typed your name wrong, big deal. you need to chill out dude, besides anyone is welcome to type in a message. :banghead:
  20. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I'm putting my helmet on before I read any more on this thread.:p