1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Help with weird wiring issues

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by tjandt3, Dec 19, 2008.

1. tjandt3

tjandt3 New Member

Ok, Here is the story. Me and my brothers took our Dad on a ride through New england last Aug. It was great except for 1 minor issue. I got a flat tire on my 2006 Night Train. I ended up catching a screw from a construction zone somewhere near Bangor, Me. The dealership changed my rear tire and we were on the way. After about 60 miles, I went to get off the interstate and since I was leading turned my right turn signal on. When we stopped for gas, my dad asked why I didn't use my turn signal. I looked at my gauges and noticed the security key illuminated on my panel. I shut the bike off and then turned it back on and as soon as I pushed the right turn signal again, the security light came on. I checked the wiring the next morning and saw no issues, but the turn signal worked for about 20 minutes and then same issues. Now, it woks when cold, but after alittle riding, it stops. The bike runs strong with no other issues. I assume this is a loose connection, but I can't find it. Any Ideas??? Thanks

By the way the guys at the Bangor Dealer got me in and fixed in a couple hours. Plus, they were very helpful.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sounds lilke ya had a good ride.....
    you already know what the problem is, now you have to find it. the factory service manual has a great wiring diagram. (i am assuming you have checked the bulbs by replacing, checked the fuses, checked the flasher/controler)......start at one end, and trace the wiring....you will probably have to cut tie wraps and disconnect conntectors....if i was betting, i think one of the connectors has become corroded, seein as where you ride/live. a nice relaxing winter project is to remove some tins and disconnect all connectors, clean and apply some dielectric grease then reconnect.....take that one step and use some heat shrink tubing on each one. even the bulb contacts can get nasty......the alarm system uses the 4 way flash circuit when arming and disarming....when that is faulty you get the code........have fun and let us know what ya found!!!!!..........:)
  3. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

:D another route to check is the harness under the rear fender when the tire was changed, now rubbed through the harness and into the wires shorts or opens now haunting your dreams
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I would start at the rear light & go forword from there cause it started after the flat & all the wires go through the T light
  5. tjandt3

tjandt3 New Member

Thanks

I found a loose wire that seemed to be rattling.

Thanks for the input. Sorry it took so long to get back to yall.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

thanks for the update!!!