1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Help

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by mmiller0424, Dec 22, 2007.

1. mmiller0424

mmiller0424 New Member

I am hooking up an amp on my electra glide. Can someone answer a few questions?
  2. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

I'll bet any question you can ask will either get answered or advice and/or an opinion given. ;) Ask away.
  3. mmiller0424

mmiller0424 New Member

I want to hook up my mp3 player instead of a stereo. I have the power and all figured out on how to wire. I am not sure of how to hook up the player to the amp. I have the stereo wires. Do I cut the earphones off the mp3 player and use that cord to wire to one side of the stereo wires going in to the amp?
  4. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

I'm not checked out on MP3 players but I assume that the only output would be the ear buds. It probably doesn't have an aux output or even a speaker. What does the input of your amp look like? Is it a jack or screw terminals? Whatever it is, you obviously will have to adapt the output of your player to the input of the amp. One parimeter you have to watch is the impedence of each device. The input and output should have matching impedence (4 ohms, 8 ohms, or ?) or it may not work well or at all. If you have the spec sheet, you should be able to get this info there. This may not be of any help but I tried. Good luck.
  5. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

miller, this is very hard to elucidate over the internet, and I have know idea what your experience with electronics are. If you have the wiring diagram for our stereo and you understand it, then just replace your stereo with the MP3. The amp will always follow the device it’s amplifying. What output does this MP3 player have? Just earphones? If the only outputs are the headphones then I guess you could rig the earphone line to the input to the amp,(splice and connect/solder to input of amp) as long as all devices have a real good ground.
    Let me know what’s going on and I’ll try to help.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

radio shack sells mp3 earbud jacks to amp input jacks....the only thing you may have a problem with is volume.....your mp3 should have a volume control....:)
  7. mmiller0424

mmiller0424 New Member

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the input guys. I got it. I had it hooked up right. The manufacturer says it is a problem with the amp. They are sending a new one.