1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Help

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by chucktx, Sep 30, 2008.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

trying to work in my shop in the evenings is hell. the skeeters are taking over!!! i have big fans, they help a little, but i am needing another idea.....anybody have some hints or tips???????
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

found some info.....not much help tho..... Hope you get SOMETHING out of this!!!

MOSQUITO CONTROL

Unfortunately, there is no easy solution for managing mosquitoes. Countless products on the market claim to be effective and easy to use but few have appreciable value in lessening the annoyance and incidence of bites. Unlike most insects found around homes, mosquitoes are pervasive outdoor pests and there are limits to what can be done to minimize their abundance, Nonetheless, there are measures that can afford some relief.

Breeding Site Reduction

The most effective way to reduce the number of mosquitoes around homes and neighborhoods is to find and eliminate their breeding sites - standing water. Adults of some mosquito species remain near their breeding site. Others can travel long distances, even up to several miles. Because of this, problem mosquitoes may come from breeding sites some distance away.

Regardless of recent weather patterns - wet, dry, warm, or cool - there are plenty of potential places in which mosquitoes can develop. A neglected bird bath, swimming pool, or clogged rain gutter can produce hundreds of new mosquitoes in a just a few days. Trees uprooted by storms leave soil depressions that collect seepage and rainwater. Large areas of standing water, such as from swamps, sluggishly moving streams or ditches may require efforts beyond those of individual property owners.

However, there are effective steps that individuals can take to minimize mosquito breeding on their property:
    Dispose of old tires, buckets, aluminum cans, plastic sheeting or other refuse that can hold water. Empty accumulated water from trash cans, boats, wheel barrows, pet dishes, and flower pot bottoms. If possible, turn these items over when they are not in use.
    Clean debris from rain gutters and unclog obstructed downspouts. Clogged rain gutters are one of the most overlooked breeding sites for mosquitoes around homes. Remove any standing water on flat roofs or around structures. Repair leaking faucets and air conditioners that produce puddles for several days.
    Change water in bird baths and wading pools at least once a week and keep swimming pools cleaned and chlorinated. Ornamental pools can be aerated or stocked with mosquito-eating fish. Aeration / water movement helps because mosquitoes prefer quiet, non-flowing water for egg-laying and development.
    Fill or drain ditches and swampy areas, and other soil depressions and remove, drain, or fill tree holes and stumps with mortar or sealant to prevent accumulation of water. Eliminate standing water and seepage around animal watering troughs, cisterns, and septic tanks. Be sure that cistern screens are intact and that access covers fit tightly.
    Irrigate lawns and gardens carefully to prevent water from standing for several days.

Mosquitoes can be kept out of the home by keeping windows, doors, and porches tightly sealed and insect screens in good repair. The occasional mosquito that may enter can be eliminated with a fly swatter. Aerosol foggers and other indoor insecticides labeled for mosquitoes, gnats, and other flying insects seldom provide relief at dosages applied by householders.

Adult Mosquito Control

Mosquito breeding sites are not always obvious or accessible so some nearby sources will remain undetected or impractical to treat. Also, mosquitoes can fly in from some distance away. Therefore, it may be necessary to take additional measures against adults.

Mosquitoes prefer to rest in protected sites during the day. Yards with lots of trees, shrubs, and dense vegetation or properties adjoining such areas, can have nightmarish problems. Consequently, removal of tall weeds and overgrowth is part of an integrated mosquito management program.

To further reduce intolerable levels of biting mosquitoes, insecticides can be applied to the lower limbs of shade trees, shrubs, and other shaded areas, such as under decks and along foundations. Pyrethroid insecticides (Table 2.) are effective but will need to be reapplied periodically. A hose-end sprayer is usually most effective and convenient for such applications. Always read and follow label directions before using any pesticide. Some homeowners may wish to enlist the services of a professional for this service.

Personal Protection From Bites

While some mosquitoes are daytime biters, most are more active in the evening. Staying indoors at dusk and during evening hours will lessen the chance of being bitten. Long-sleeved shirts and pants will provide protection when outdoors but bites can still occur through thin clothing and to exposed skin.

Topically applied mosquito repellents will help to prevent bites when spending time outdoors. The most effective mosquito repellents contain the active ingredient diethyl toluamide (DEET). The higher the percentage of DEET in the product, the longer the protection lasts. Low percentage formulations are available for use with young children.

Non-DEET containing repellents (e.g. Avon Skin-So-Soft with citronella oil) may provide some relief but generally to a lesser degree and for shorter duration than DEET products. It is often desirable to apply insect repellent on outer clothing as well as the skin. Always read and follow directions on the container. Mosquito repellent should not be applied to the hands of young children, and treated skin should be washed with soap and water after returning indoors.

Other Control Possibilities

Many consumer products claim to attract, repel or kill mosquitoes. Most of these devices do not appreciably reduce mosquito abundance or incidence of bites, or else are unproven. Electrocuting devices or "Bug zappers", using ultraviolet light as an attractant, are generally ineffective in reducing outdoor populations of mosquitoes or their biting activity. Studies indicate that mosquitoes make up only a tiny percentage of the insects captures in such traps. The majority are moths, beetles, and other harmless night flying insects.

Other types of mosquito traps use carbon dioxide, warmth, light, and various chemicals (e.g. octenol) as attractants and claim to capture tremendous numbers of mosquitoes. Such devices often cost hundreds of dollars and some sell for over $1,000. Performance claims to the contrary, such devices seldom have been shown to actually reduce populations of biting mosquitoes on a property, or the incidence of bites. In some situations they could even attract more mosquitoes into the area one is hoping to protect.

Advertisements for portable electronic devices that use high-frequency ultrasonic sound routinely appear in magazines and claim to keep mosquitoes and other pests at bay. Some supposedly repel mosquitoes by mimicking the wing beat frequency of a hungry dragonfly. Scientific studies have repeatedly shown these devices to be of negligible benefit in deterring mosquitoes and reducing bites. Companies that market such devices with unsubstantiated claims have been told to cease and desist by consumer protection agencies but others continue to appear hoping that consumers will buy them. Save your money, these devices seldom, if ever, provide any measure of relief.

Citronella oil does have mosquito repelling properties and the scented candles can provide a degree of protection. For maximum effect, use multiple candles placed close (within a few feet) of where people are sitting. A single candle at the center or edge of a picnic blanket probably won't provide much benefit other than atmosphere. Mosquito repellent plants like garlic and other oft-advertized botanicals generally are ineffective.
  3. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I've been spraying the yard about 100 yards around the house with that stuff you put on the hose, been working pretty good, and I'm on the water, and alot of sketter spray. walked out in the yard first day here and looked down at my legs and I was wearing shorts, looked like I had black stockings on:roflmao:
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I found the Deep Woods works about the best , apply about every 30 min or so or Like I said in another post get out the .22 & blast away:roflmao:
  5. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

chuck would need that stuff in the 55 gallon drum....and more then one at a time.....he is WAY back in the woods.....and I could just about see EVERYTHING back there holding just enuf water to grow more!!!:banghead:
  6. chucktx

yup, that is the problem, pluss all the downed trees/limbs in the forest close to me. i am trying to keep the shop as free of them as i can. and as the info stated....evenings and nites. that is when i get to do "my" work.....might try the candles, and zappers......:)
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

The best defense against them is a DEET-based bug spray (Cutter, Off, etc all have DEET versions). Go for the 29 or higher ratings. I've used DEET stuff in some nasty places, and the thing I like best about it is it doesn't just work on mosquitos- ticks and leeches don't like it either. Not as effective on flies, but is s'posed to keep them from biting you, too (and though I have noticed them still landing on me with DEET on, I hadn't been bit by a fly while using it - that I know of).

Zappers don't work much, they mostly kill things that ain't skeeters. There is one zapper that has a scented pad that is s'posed to work better, but I tried one and it (the pad) didn't last very long. I gave the candle things a good try, but didn't find them effective. Used the sonic system (little buzzing thing) and they seem somewhat more effective than the candles, but always ended back up using something with DEET.

Insecticide in the yard is a help, though they'll travel more range than most want to bother spraying. A good heavy dose of Spectride will likely create a less attractive yard for them.

Of course, they don't bite ya if you're running down the highway at 40 MPH or better. You can bite them, though, if you're inclined!:roflmao:
  8. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Yeh Deet I always use Deet in places where there are Mosquitoes. Sprays for skin tend to top out at 50% Deet, You can also get Neat Deet which is 100% Deet, this is applied to sweatbands and / or clothes. Cover yourself and your clothes in the two above and you should be reasonably safe.

Of course the best way is to cover yourself in Deet and stand next to someone who is not covered in Deet. :D
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Deet schmeet

Mosquitos are attracted to the carbon dioxide you exhale.

Simple,, hold your breath or wear a mask when outside to reduce emissions.

or

Best thing is a Mosquito Trap - the propane versions are the best, home despot, lowes, costco, sams, etc

Mosquito Traps
  10. chucktx

went out this evening and only got bit twice!!!!! this is what i did. i got a zapper and hung it inside one of the shop doors, closed all the doors but one. left it about one third open. i got 2 tiki torches and removed the cannisters as i couldnt get the bamboo to go through the floor....lol. i lit them for about 10 minutes then blew them out, and went in to fix supper. when i went back out i could still smell the cinternella (sp)....i didnt rellight the torches, just turned on the 4 ft fan.............seemed to work!!! time will tell...........
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

We get skeeters here at my place to. Makes it a bit@h to work in the shop. I got a black light zapper and hung it up close to wear I work. Kills them dead and have a few get me before they got zapped but it does work. Sometimes I go inside for awhile after I turn it on and when I come back there are quit a few that are dead on the floor.
    After your recent storm I imagine that there are more than normal. :D
  12. chucktx

yup, lots more!!!!!!!!! lol lol
  13. usahellas

usahellas New Member

And I thought it was just here in GA. I put on a citronella candle and sprayed some yard guard around the garage. That worked for me.
  14. Thump '63

Thump '63 New Member

Simple Solution

Brewers Yeast. Works, but DRINK MORE BEER, then you don't care if you get swarmed or not.:roflmao:
  15. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

Have ya tried Napalm? :)
  16. usahellas

usahellas New Member

ROFLMAO, I think you are right that is about the only thing that will really work.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: