1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Here I Go Again !

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Studds, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Studds

Studds Active Member

As I told you I a few months ago, my 03' Heritage Softail Classic was a complete loss after I was rear ended while sitting at a red light by a hit and run driver. Well that's all water under the bridge ( I still hate the bastard ) because my replacement will be here tomorrow coming from Palm City, Fla. I fell totally in love with this bike on E-Bay----sight unseen! I have taken a huge leap in faith and pray that all goes well. It is also a 2003, Anniversary model,
    Electra Glide Classic (Silver over Black) with 2,551 miles on it. I do know that it has a crack in the windshield and I want to replace it ASAP-------my question is : what do you know about the Klockwork type windshields as far as helping eliminate buffeting and overall riding comfort?

I look forward to your replies ----I'm feeling like a 62 yr. old kid the night before Christmas !!!!!
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Give the bike a ride before sweating the windshield design. There are plenty of aftermarket shields out there that can more than cover any rider. The thing for you have to figure out is do you want to look through or over your shield? Your seating geometry is a good bit different on a E-Glide vs. Heritage, so you may be surprised how much shielding you get.

:cheers:
  3. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

Congratulations on the new ride!!:cheers: when it gets here remember Pictures, Pictures, Pictures!!!!
  4. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Don't know much about your Klockwork windshield but I did want to say sorry to hear of your loss. I would be flipping BS if someone hit my betsy.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Its like loosing a good friend when a bike gets totaled. Do ride the bike first and get a feel for the windshield height. Here is another very good windshield replacement company. I purchased on of theirs last spring and really love it. Did you save any pictures from the Ebay site?

Harley Davidson Windshields
  6. steveb

steveb Active Member

The only thing I have heard about the Klockwerks windshields has been great if you replace the stock Streetglide windshield to not so good if you are replacing the stock E-glide windshield.
  7. badinfluence63

The full Eglide windshield made me claustrophobic and no matter what I did it was difficult seeing thru during heavy rain so I put the 6" windshield with the modified tbag windshield bag. Looks great and the 6" windshield allows me to see over the top easily during rain and the wind is redirected for the most part just over my head.
  8. FLHTbiker

Yep I agree a shorter windshield for me to is better. I like seeing over the shield and not looking through it.
  9. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Got a stock HD windshield on my E-glide and it is a pita when ridin in the rain - can't see a damm thing.- this winter the bike is getting a new one.
  10. badinfluence63

Don't be afraid to go with the 6 inch one if you're short. I'm only 5'7 1/ so the 6 inch is perfect. You want to make sure that what ever windshield you get you don have the top edge splitting your vision its distracting. Also Tbags makes a windshield that makes it all come together:

T-BAGSĀ® WINDSHIELD BAG 4 :: Detail
  11. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Good point - already got the Tbags and would be lost without them.:)
  12. Chrome

Chrome New Member

I bought a piece of Lexan from a glass co and using the old one as template....Chuck cut me a new one that I've had on now for 2 years!!! $20.00
  13. FLHTbiker

Good job on that, how thick was it.
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

it was the same thickness as the original.....1/8th i believe....could be wrong tho. it is available in many thicknesses............
  15. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I also make my own, I rather look over than thru it too.
  16. FLHTbiker

What did you use to shape it with and did you have to heat it to bend it to fit right.
  17. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i covered it with tape....marked my line on the tape....used a jig saw to cut it...used a dremmel to do the holes and slots....didnt have to heat it....used sandpaper to smooth the edge......piece of cake!!
  18. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

The ones I've done the frame molds them into shape, once in a while I'll use a heat gun on them after I've put it all together. I cut just like Chuck described, I go one step farther and use steel wool on the edge after I've sanded.
    I have cut several stock windshields for the local dealer that same way.
  19. FLHTbiker

I've cut down a lot of windshields. I have a electric roto zip tool with a cutting blade for plastics. I to mask off the area to cut and mark my lines with a black felt marker on the tape. When finished I have a set of files that I smooth the cut edge with going to a very fine file for finishing and rounding the top edge slightly. I finish with sandpaper with a sanding block. Now when I cut down the bagger shields I left the shield on the bike and cover the whole bike with a couple of blankets.

So when doing a whole new piece what do you use to hold it when cutting?
  20. badinfluence63

I'm still working and just buy the one I need.