1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hesitation

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Old Fart on 87FLH, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Old Fart on 87FLH

Old Fart on 87FLH New Member

Lately, I've noticed a slight hesitation from dead stop,but after I get her up to 1200 rpm's or so, runs fine,no missing. I ride '87 FLHTC with S&S Super E carb. My riding buddy says he thinks it's the accelerator pump, might need a rebuild,or just a diaphram replacement...Sound logical?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that sounds logical. also check that when you open the throttle the spray goes directly into the center of the bore, and not off to one side. another place to check is timing, and if running points, there setting. hope this helps a bit, have fun
    chuck
  3. Old Fart on 87FLH

Old Fart on 87FLH New Member

Thanks,Chuck...I pulled the cover,watched as I opened the throttle,and at first a small amt of gas sprayed,then none, but as I opened it more it seemed to flood a lot of gas down the throat. Seems inconsistant, maybe thats why it hesitates,then takes off fast.:confused: maybe I'll try replacing the diaphragm first,should be a cheap fix..
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i think you found it.......the spray should be constant......good going!!
    chuck