1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hesitation

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by eskimorider, Apr 20, 2008.

1. eskimorider

eskimorider New Member

I have had an engine build done on my 02 Road King and have a question that some one may have the answer to. I have about 200 miles on the build and am breaking in the motor as per the builders guide lines. But when I'm trying to hold a constant speed in first through third gear the bike has a momentary hesitation every three or four seconds. Doesn't do this in fourth or fifth gear and the hesitation is just for a millisecond but it is noticable.
    The build included a 95 in. kit with ported and flowed heads and S&S 510 geared cams and a PCIII. Could the map be off a bit? I have a basic map on the PCIII that the builder added and he plans to dyno and fine tune the map at 1000 miles. Could this just be the cams?
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Not an EFI expert by any stretch, but I run a similar cam and doubt that it is the cam. I would bet that it is the EFI map, as that is A-#1 for your fuel flow. Sounds like you should get more miles on it (though with the 95 TC I'd think 500 would be enough) and get it mapped properly. I'd be shocked if that ain't the solution. Let us know.
  3. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

those canned maps can only serve as starting point and will need to be adjusted a bit. i would think the more modified the engine the more adjusting to be done. my bike is only a stage 1 so it's fairly simple. if i were in your situation i'd try adding a little more fuel at the rpm range where the surging is taking place, and see if it improves it, or makes it worse. when it comes to playing around with those maps don't try more than 3-5 at a time. just sm. steps. don't worry about ruining anything so long as you take sm. steps and think things out your're be fine. does'nt take long to get the hang of it. it takes alot of test runs, but it's fun and rewarding. take advanage of your newly founded ability to tune your bike, like chunk says "piece of cake" plug it in and play. have fun, it's great:devil:

P.S - make sure you don't have an intake leak :eek:
  4. eskimorider

eskimorider New Member

How would I check an intake leak? Sorry just a beginner but not too stupid.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

use some wd 40 with the straw attached. run the bike in neutral, and direct the spray near the intake manifold where it goes into the head and where the carb attaches to the intake, the rpm's will change if there is a leak. dont shoot it into the intake side of the carb.....ya wont find a thing there.......:)