1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hey abby....

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by chucktx, Aug 10, 2009.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

2. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Thanks!

I wrote... not on the book, but I need to keep writing those articles regularly. Another 274 + or - hits and I'll actually get a check for $25. Woohoo! Rolling in the dough. :roflmao:
  3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

They (MotoGear) ought to sponsor this site....looks like some good stuff there. I really like the line of heated gloves they carry - ain't seen that selection before.

And good article, too!
  4. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Maybe I should do an article on Ken's carb business. Hmmm
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Good idea Abby :)
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yes in deed a very good right up , we could use a store like that around here I get a bit up set when they want to charge me extra to put stuff back when they messed it up in the first place :eek:
  7. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

Ok somebody help me out here, on subject of putting on a coat in 100 deg heat to keep you cool, how does that work?:confused: is there some kind of new air condition fiber I'm not aware of. I ride in a long sleeve shirt (light color)on long trips to keep the sun from roasting me, But a coat:wtf:any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tiny
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

there are vent'd coats and there are mesh type jackets, once moving they keep the breeze going over your skin, as you sweat the air hitting it cools you off..

Some folks think riding in shorts, no shirt, etc is cooler but what happens is the wind drys up the sweat, this further dehydrates your body because the persperation is blown away and you body cannot cool as efficiently.

If you were to ride through AZ or the Deserts of California, you'd be best to soak that long sleeve tshirt in cool water, ring it out to damp and then don a mesh breathable jacket over it. The cool tshirt will help keep you wet and cooler....

funny how that stuff works...
  9. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

not to mention that you keep the direct UV and sun from your skin, keeping sunburn and windburn down just a bit....I was a skeptic also.....until I tried it....both ways, same day. Stop and go in traffic, mesh coat is still a coat....BUT moving...mesh keeps you cooler longer.
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The wife just purchased a ladies mesh jacket at the HD shop that is white with some girlie stuff added on it. Has pockets inside where you can add those wet things to help keep you cool.

I've been known to stop and and take my T-shirt off and soak it in a creek or in a restroom sink. A denim jacket works real well to but they do dry out. The coolness really feels great though.
    I stopped at a fast food place one time in Blythe on the AZ/Ca boarder where it was 114. I went into the rest room and soaked my long sleeve T-shirt in a sink then went to the oder counter to order a drink. I sure got a lot of weird looks from people in there but hey I was the only fool riding a bike in that heat. Worked good to help cool me down.
  11. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

I see a chance to help Our Girl out here. Lets get to hitting that link and passing it around to others to do the same.
  12. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I was a skeptic too. Like AFNurse said, if you're stopped, it's still toasty, but when you get moving it's great. Plus it keeps me from roasting in the direct sunlight. Add to that the bonus of protection if you go down. It's funny, even though I wasn't wearing any protective gear other than jeans and boots when I got hit, and I was only injured in a way that gear wouldn't have protected, I think about it a lot more. I'm not going to do anything crazy like wear a full leather suit in the middle of summer. At some point either a) it stops being fun or b) if I'm that worried, maybe I shouldn't ride. However, finding something like the mesh jacket that keeps me cool and is protective is nice. If I'm just going into town I don't always wear it, but I'm glad I got it for the longer trips.

Oh, I get it. You guys are just trying to get me into a wet t-shirt. Duh. :roflmao: I was doing that on my big trip - pouring a bottle of water over me while drinking another.
  13. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Dangit!!! She finally figured us out... By the by, how's the book coming???:)
  14. chucktx

:worthless:
  15. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

:roflmao:yep see chuck I told you was smater then us :roflmao::D
  16. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I got my wife one of the NEW HD mesh jackets....the brick red..... it had to be special order (they still had not received any of the ORANGE jackets like the one I got in San Antonio last spring!).....so will give update when we see it.
  17. chucktx

thanks chris!