1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hey Cowboy

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 14, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

What do you think of putting a 44mm CV on a 011 FLHX?:cool:
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That should work, just get the jetting right. Years ago I put on a big bore HD carb on a 99 Roadking and it ran really good and strong.
  3. JohnnyBiker

Thanks, after reading all of this crap about the PC and TM there is no way that I would want to mess with that crap. A stock 103" with a 44mm on it... OH yeah, that is what I am talking about..

Do you think that it would be as easy as it was for Cowboy?
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

No, won't be as easy, there are no throttle cables, it's FBW all the bikes
    controls are run by the ECM, you'd be better off with buying a carb bike
    and dropping in an SNS 106 crate engine...
  5. JohnnyBiker

That and Cowboy and I were talking that they may not even make a conversion kit for it?
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

mpg is out the window!!! lol
  7. JohnnyBiker

Anything smaller wouldn't really cut it as far as fuel supply goes. Agree??
  8. chucktx

9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

JB I forgot about the No cables crap on the new bikes , so there's another problum , Like we talked about find a 06 model cause that was the last year for a carb , Then you can easly build a 103 from the 88 & run a carb easy swap & cheeper to tune :D I DON'T CARE IF i WENT BACKWORDS I CAN TUNE MY BIKE NOW :cool::D
  10. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

ya an't going back wards unless ya got it in reverse :roflmao:
  11. cowboy

Lol harleylsr your so right , :) I really enjoy my carb bike , still haven't checked the jets yet , she's running so good , no miss, top or bottom end & smooth in the middle
  12. FLHTbiker

If its running that good Cowboy why even check the jets, sounds good and dialed in.
  13. chucktx

agree!!!!!!!!!!
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If you ain't messing with it we will have fewer posts, go out there and screw it up LOL

I don't think going Carb on an 08 and up is going to be an easy option because of the way the electronics are setup, and as HD moves forward with electronics you'll have even more issues as they move to the Chassis Control Module like the 11 softails.

Basically it's a separate switchbox that controls the electronics functions and it
    will probably work in conjunction with the data buss system on the bike and the ecm.

To change it out you'll have to change ALL the electronics, get an ignition, re wire the harness to hook up the sensors properly, and hope the sensors are in the same range as the ignition wants, a new coil, gas tank will need to be retrofitted for a petcock as the tanks on 9 and up are different (6 gallon, no crossover etc) then you have the whole throttle thing.

Could you do it? Sure, but why....

Just quit complaining about EFI, learn about it and move forward.

The new EFI is light years beyond Magnetti Marelli systems...
  15. cowboy

LMAO Hrk yep if it ain't broke don't fix it :rolleyes: , My ride is a 03 so it had the delphie system , the carb works just fine the way it is now, still breaking it in( again) so really haven't got on it CB style yet , Taht was the second EFI system on this bike , first one broke the butterfly shaft :cussing: this one that just came off I got from a guy on HHT cause it took it off for a carb , I tried to run the efi for 5 years , But MY pockets are not as deep as ole cardboards for a TMAX or another tunner Had a PC 111 & had it dynoed as well ran good for a few years then all hell broke loose & she Now has a new top end & carb , I'll just bet the puter wont go hair wire & burn it up again :D
  16. FLHTbiker

Good for you Cowboy. Had a sit down talk with the service manager from our HD dealer tonight and in a very nice way I told him about my issue with the dyno tune and the SERT super tuner and he said that he to is leaning away from telling everyone that they need a tuner installed. He said that yes many times just the HD factory download will work very well. He is a pretty good guy and said if I ever do anything else to the bike to come to him and he will take care of me if the bike then needs a dyno tune. Pretty good guy.
  17. cowboy

FLHT thats good to here , hope you get it all worked out :D
  18. FLHTbiker

Yea, the bike is running good now and the fuel mileage is 42-45 which is a whole lot better than the 35 and under I was getting.
  19. cowboy

Ya that is better then the 35 , I'am still running on the fill up I put in when I got my bike running again about 1/2 tank & just shy of 200 miles ,BUt that just running around at about 55-60 , I did get on it twice but not real hard just bump 70 & eas back out of it
  20. FLHTbiker

Not bad must mean that carb is performing pretty darn good. You would spend a couple thousand bucks with a dyno and tuner to get that or not get it.