1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Hey sportsterboy

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by chucktx, Jan 19, 2008.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

just saw the pic in your gallery, how many bolts hold your fender strut to the frame.....kinda hard to see in the pic. chrome is to shiney!!!!!!! puts a glare on it!!!
  2. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I made those strutts out of 1 1/4 round stock. used the shock for mock up there 10" center to center. same bolts that held the shocks in place. 2
  3. chucktx

i was trying to see how the fender stays off the tire.....cant tell if the struts were mounted with one bolt or two.....
  4. chucktx

the question im asking is about the fender struts, not the shock replacement strut...:D
  5. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

I am guessing that the rear frame struts are still on the bike. The chrome covers and turnsignals still there is what makes me guess that. If I am right then the seat bolt holds the front of the fender to the frame, then turnsignals hole it at the rear.

I would be interested in knowing how she rides with the struts replacing the shocks though. Also where did you come up with the license plate mount?
  6. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Actually looking at the pic closer again, it looks like those frame struts have been chopped off. If that is the case I am with you Chuck, No clue on how to keep the fender off the tire. Maybe I will just shutup now and C my way out of this A & B conversation LOL.
  7. chucktx

hehehehehe:D now that is funny........
  8. chucktx

sportsterboy is a welder....and the plate holder looks like a fab. a very nice one at that. nice job!:)
  9. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

The Fender Strutts Are Acually Welded To The Frame. Came That Way Stock. The Crome Pieces Are Covers. The Only Thing That Is Holding The Fender Is A Bolt Under The Seat, The Blinkers And 2,
    1/4 X 1/2's On Each Side. 7 Total, Over Kill. Acually The Two 1/4's Are For Mounting The Sissy Bar. The Plate Bracket I Made By Cutting Some 18 Gage Stainless To The Shape Of The Plate. Then Layed Out A Pattern On The Same Piece For The Hight Of The Plate, Then Put It To The Brake For The Bend. Drill The Hole For Mounting It To The Strutt Mount To The Swing Arm. Used Double Sided Tape To Mount A White Lite Under The Fender And Blinker. Wired It Strait Into The Brake Lite.
  10. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Pic For Ya

Attached Files:

11. chucktx

thanks for the pic....now i can see both the plate and fender strut....:)
  12. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

C's back LOL. I was right :D Apparently the frame struts for the fender are just a bit lower on that frame than mine.

Thanks for the how to on the LP holder. Appreciated.