1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

High altitude jetting

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by humbucker, Jul 31, 2007.

1. humbucker

humbucker New Member

Hello all ..thanks for many sleepless nights ..hehe My question is this, I have a 06 XL 1200L with only one mod V&H straightshot HS slipons, I get popping while im in a decell going downhill..I live at about 5000ft elevation and ride up to 8000ft I would like to ask for advice on if there is a special jetting for my altitude?(Im planning doing a stage 1 AC Also: ) and if the slipons that i have on are causing the popping? Thanks in advance to anybody who can help.....
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  2. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

ok this is most likely a stupid question but first welcome, the question is for it being an 06 is it really carb if so put your breather on and yes you will need to adjust your fuel to air mix and ken will most likely chime in but if it is fuel injected re mapped and you will get input for ethier set up here lotta knowledge here.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if you are running a carb, it should adjust itself to that altitude....i would check the clamps on the pipes, as you are probably sucking in cold air and that is where the "pop" is comming from. also if efi the onboard puter should handle that altitude also....have fun and welcome to the forum!!!!
  4. Peyts

Peyts New Member

Humbucker... I presume that you have a high-flow air cleaner on it, and have also done some rejetting to the carb. If not, most likely your popping is being caused by the bike running too lean. You need the high-flow air cleaner (such as a Screamin Eagle one)... then you need to reject your carbs to get more fuel to the "delivery system".

A standard rejet kit that you buy off eBay won't do the trick because of your altitude. But if you buy a full rejet kit, then you will have the jets that you need.

As for the exact jet sizes... can't tell you. Perhaps someone else on the forum can help. Or ask someone at a local bikeshop... they will need to change the jets on all bikes that are sold in your area, as the jets are set to sea-level use when they come out of the manufacturer. Barring all that... you will have to figure out the jet sizes by trial and error.

Good luck!
  5. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I was wondering about this today. I came through Nevada on 50 and my bike was choking at 80 MPH. I wondered if it was the altitude. I've been getting really bad gas mileage all along too, so I'm not sure if it's the altitude or the jets. I'm having the dealer take a look at it tomorrow when I take it in for a new tire.

Good luck!
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Typically your altitude would lead to a rich condition rather than being lean, so jetting larger could actually work against you. Adjusting your mixture screw could help slightly with the decel pop but be careful you don't go too rich (check your plugs). What you are likely experiencing is reversion from your pipes, and possibly even an exhaust leak. If your pipes or mufflers are drawing cooler air back in this will cause your decel popping.
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Yep, you need to be tuned for not just our higher altitude, but our even higher "effective altitude". Northern Nevada isn't just high up, it is also friggin dry & hot. When it is hot, the air density decreases even more than the standard for elevation. For instance, a 70 the effective altitude is relatively equal to the actual, but at 95 your 5000ft is effectively about 8000ft for volume of oxygen in the air. I've been told that the lack of moisture makes this effect more pronounced here than in other places. ie; the eastern slope of the Rockies or western Sierras.

Now for the disclaimer: this is what I have been advised, but I didn't see the actual equations. I do know I was running richer than I wanted before I went and got it dyno-tuned in Reno.
  8. humbucker

humbucker New Member

Thanks to all who replyed ..I will look into the exhaust first, because thats the only thing I did to the bike...I will get rid of the stock air box soon and rejet...and report back...thanks again and See Ya on the road:chopper: :rocket_bike: