1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

High idle sometimes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Jul 25, 2007.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

My 03 efi E glide sometimes on start up jumps up to around 1300 instead of the 1000 it's set at , is there a sensor for this or just some type of adjustment , I do have a PC 3 on the bike

Ps bike has about 50k miles on it :cool:
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

mine is an 04....if it is cold....or colder, or has not been run for awhile, it will do this also.....let it warm up, RPM will drop.
  3. cowboy

Mine just started this about a week or so ago , & does even after it been riden & i stop for a bit & on restart it's back up for sec or two
  4. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

me too

i have an 06, does the same off and on, nothing major
  5. navyman

navyman New Member

Same situation with mine.
  6. cowboy

Well I guess it's ok , But mine never did it before , Guess I'll have to call the dealer's shop to see if they want to rob me or tell the truth
  7. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Do you really want to know the answer to that question Cowboy!?!? You know what the answer will be......ROB YOU, of course!!
  8. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

The initial idle is set by the IAC (idle air control). It will normally start up at close to 1300 RPM and drop as the bike warms up to around 1000 RPM. If the bike is warm it will drop quite quickly. Most dealers will hook it up to the digital tech and check the counts on the IAC and where the idle goes after warmup. I don't know of many that will charge for this quick check and contrary to what is usually said here we aren't all STEALERS.
  9. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Well, that may be true VYBR8ER, and I apologize if you took offense to that, BUT, unfortunately they are out there. However, I did not say that the techs were thieves. If you read some of the posts here, you will see that the majority of us are not happy with most dealerships due to very shady business practices. Again, I apologize if you were offended, it is surely nothing personal. BTW, Williams HD in NJ is not what I would consider an honest dealership, as they've done some sh*tty things to me. JMO of course.
  10. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

No offense taken Voodoo, I know where your hear is from all of your answers. One other thing you might look for if the idle isn't always consistant, check for an intake leak. Don't just spray the intake seals, hit the sensors but stay away from getting the carb cleaner into the back of the air cleaner and giving you a false reading.
  11. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

12. cowboy

I read somewhere there's a idel sencor , I have not taken the time to high-jack the wife's laptop:rolleyes: & hook up to the pc3 on the bike maybe I'll get time this week
    :cool: