1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

High Idle

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 08XModel, Apr 5, 2009.

1. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I installed SE stage 1 air cleaner and Python slip on mufflers with a Cobra tuner. It seems that the idle is a little higher than it was with stock parts on. When warmed up runs 1000 to 1100. The motor also seems to vibrate more at idle than when all was stock. I looked in the manuel but couldn't find any specs on idle. Hope someone can help.
  2. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

sounds like the cobra has issues, might call cobra and talk to them they built the device they will probably have the answers your looking for. havnt any specs with me let alone for an 08.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

The idle speed on older bikes is between 950-1050 RPM's, I don't know if 08's or 09's is any different. My o3 FLHPI is at 1000RPM's warmed up.
  4. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

It appears in my tinkering that Engine Idle Temp Management System got turned on. Eitms allows the rear cylinder to shut down in stop and go traffic above a certain temp. Manuel also said a funny odor was possible plus idle change. Made sure this was turned off and rode last night. Seemed to idle fine and less vibration. Dealer didn't even tell me that bike came with eitms installed. I just need to adjust cruise fuel setting and should be good to go. Maybe a T-Max is in the future.
  5. rayfin

rayfin New Member

Fuel injected? Computer controlled?
  6. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

The Street Glide is FI and computer controlled.
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My 09 idles at 1000 and a little above when it starts at cold. I Have the HD Race tuner with the Stage one air cleaner and V&H Monster Ovals
  8. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

The EFI bikes should idle no lower than 1000 rpm's for the oil pump to work correctly and the system to charge.

The Cobra FI system is like copied from Doebeck Performance. It will git you by, but it will rob you of performance and fuel milage.
    If yer not careful it will carbon yer motor up. Going to a cheap tuner should be a short term solution.
    :banghead:
  9. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I haven't had a chance to run a full tank through to see the mileage. The cobra is a short term fix. I would either go with SE or Thundermax new part. I just don't like the idea of having to download maps and dyno runs.
  10. Lucifer

The Cobra has been called a TFI clone, if you set the settings too rich, your claims are valid, but if you adjust the fuel mix correctly for a freeflow breather and pipes, you'll get a performance increase and mileage won't suffer.
    For a Stage 1 IMO thats all you need.
    Same as when you had carbed bikes and did a Stage 1.....all you had to do was rejet to allow for the increased airflow...which is basically what these fuelers do.
    If you plan on future mods where you'll need to adjust the timing curve or you want to raise the rev limit, then Yes, go for one of the more expensive control units, but those aren't necessary for Stage 1. The fuelers will do the job for that and also do the job for a bolt in cam.:devil:
  11. cardboard

If you don't want to download a map if needed you should of left yer bike stock.
    Zippers will load a map in the TM for you if you purchase it from them.
    But as you make changes to yer bike you might have to change the map.
    The TM comes with a list of Base maps. They will tell you to try and match yer cam up 1st and go from there. The cam controlls yer timing.
    Zippers Tech support is great.
    Loading the map and everything is easier than you think.
    the TM can read the WB 02 sensors and TPS and adjust the fuel and adjust the Afr's and give you better power and fuel milage.
    With the right pipes you shouldn't have to dyno the TM A/T.

I had a tuner like you have on my bike before I did the 103 build, it put so much carbon on the piston, it blew me away.
    All a tuner like you got can do is add or take away fuel. It performs no other useful function. And has a poor map in it.
    It will be a better unit if you plan on makin changes to yer bike in the future.
    Dyno tuning has come down from 450.00 to around 250.00 now.
  12. cardboard

For a STock Bike put a Cobra or any FI tuner on. Run the bike.
    Git a TM with A/T and put it on. The Tm will give you much more power and better fuel milage and make yer motor run cooler. If you make changes like doing a 103, you still have a unit you can work with.
    The Cobra would have to be sent back to the dealer for a map change.
    When yer playing with a motor as expensive as a Harley Motor, why work with a cheap tuner to just git you by.
    Very few folks just leave their bike in a stage one.
    I've talked with Dyno men and seen a lot of the cheap tuners on bikes.
    Save yer money and git a good tuner.
  13. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I'm waiting for the Tmax to come out and then find some reviews to see how happy people are with the product. Cardboard your scaring me with carbon deposits. The bike runs better but did notice a small pop on trail throttle when bike is sitting and at idle then twist throttle and let off. Crappy economy makes it hard to buy all the nice parts. Hope the cobra won't hurt anything till I can get a better tuner.
  14. cardboard

Check yer plugs all the time for the color they are, Its easy to make the bike run better, and to ck the plugs and they are not the right color.

I've had Thundermax's with Auto Tune, don't need to find out if somebody is happy or not. Took the one off my 07 bike hopin I could use it on my 08 bike and they up and changed the ECM and plug and everything.

Sold the unit off my 07 bike to one of my buddy's who has a 07 Deuce, he said some of the problems he was having is gone, and he don't have to downshift as much all the time. He can feel the extra torque from the Thundermax.
    I will probaly be in Big Bend country when it comes out. But I will have one.
    I'm on the waiting list and I got the opportunity go attend one of their classes last year.:cool:
  15. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Hey CB for short. What would cause carbon deposits in the motor? Is there nothing to do for it except get a better FI controller? I planned on running this into next year. I don't usually ride a lot of miles each year. I have less than 2400 miles on the bike. Thanks for the input.

Kevin
  16. cardboard

Yer FI has fuel adjustments, Right!

you can adjust it to have more or less fuel. If you give it too much fuel you can cause yer bike to carbon upfrom running too rich.
  17. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Is it ok to call you CB for short? I'm still tinkering with the low speed setting. I will check the plugs shortly to see what color they are. I have worked on engines before but never a FI harley. Most of this is all new to me. Thanks for the info.
  18. cardboard

Lot of folks call me CB. No problem.
    Save yer money for a good tuner. When I pulled my motor down to do a build I had only had the tuner on it for about 6 months, it was like I had tide detergent all over the top of the pistons from the cheap tuner I was using for a stage I and cams.
  19. Lucifer

20. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

I do have the settings that you gave me. I noticed that there was a pop when I twisted the throttle and let off. Sucks not to have Accl pump adjustment. Hope to have a T-max this year.