1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

High performance cams

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by wblanton, Dec 7, 2007.

1. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Does anyone know which cam is best used for a 99 EVO? Pretty much stock except exhaust and breather. I see EV3, EV5, EV27 and numerous others. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry I should have put on the original post that I ride both 1&2 up. the bike is a 99 fatboy. I hate the trottle response I have now. When I ride one up I ride kind of hard. 2 up not so hard. I would like better hole shots and better top end, but want to keep as much gas milage as I can. I know I'm dreamin on that one.

I have added screamin' eagle ignition module, arlen ness big sucker air cleaner, and 2 into 1 pipes off of a texas chopper.

I also ride about 10,000 miles per year so I don't want to loose dependablility.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea myself, but those that MAY have an idea will probably want more info.....how do you ride...one up or 2? you looking for top end or low end torque? are you heavy on the throttle? are you looking for improving long range riding? gas milage? hang all that go as fast as possible when you hit the throttle....... this will all play into what you will be wanting..... also, the 99 evo is the engine...what BIKE is it pushing? My guess is that many people will want to know some of this info before they can give you much info! Good luck!
  3. duke76

duke76 New Member

I had an ev3 in my old ride and it was pretty goodin my FXRSand my buddy had an ev27, and I liked that better a little more bottom end than mine, that is the way I would go.
  4. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

Cam Choice

I've ridden many DYNA's,FXR'S,ect.. lighter H-D's w/ANDREWS "EV-27" cam & must say this cam has an excellent power band for a "bolt-in" .495" lift camshaft.The "ANDREWS" web site has a pretty good description for the cams they sell.The duration of the cam-shaft(how long the valves stay open) will dictate where your power band will be.Hope you find the cam your looking for,00 wildglide:cool:
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

It would be hard to beat a woods cam for torque, but they are some of the noisiest cams out there, and pricey too.
  7. hotroadking

KB we're running a wood 9 in a 113 it's a quiet as as stock motor as far as valve train noise, I know some are noisy but it may be the springs used and setup on the bike.

I was amazed as well but the 113 Elbruto is responding very well and has little valve train noise at all, dang bike is so quiet he snuck up on me like a gold wing the other day :p
  8. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Hey WBLANTON,
    I've been using an EV27 and seems to be fine, definitely better than stock. I don't know much about the other cams.

It's funny how there are 1999 EVOs. I thought the last year for EVO was 1998. I also know a guy who has a 1998 Twin Cam. Did they make both engines in 1998 and 1999???

That's a clean looking Fatboy in your picture gallery.

T
  9. CD

CD Guest

1998-1999 EVO on Softails only Dyna and all FL models TC88A
    2000 All Big Twin models TC88A in Dyna / FL's and TC88B in Softails.

Cam? Best all around EVO cam I used was the EV27 or EV23 if you want a little quieter valve train.
  10. hotroadking

Hey Dave how's retirement treating you, hope you are getting out to ride, fish and whatever the heck you want!
  11. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Thank you all for your replys. My decision will be much easier now.
    As always, good information.
    Thanks.
  12. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Tomflhrci98

Thanks for the comment on the picture. That is how the bike looked when I bought it. I tried to post more recent pics but for somereason it won't take them.
  13. Cracker

Cracker New Member

Both EV27 & woods 6 cams will get you what you are after. The other thing that would help a whole bunch is to change your final drive ratio to 3.37. That will bump up your cruising RPM's about 250 & give you a better feel out of the hole & up through the rpm range. I suspect that 2in1 has little or no restriction or baffle & may be hurting your bottom end. Many of those pipes cam off bigger 100CC+ engines & do not play well with a stock EVO 80".

More cams to look into would be a V-Thunder EV-3020, nice quiet cam good bottom & mid range Tq or a Head Quarters HQ24. Call Doug at head-quarters.com & talk to him about your plan(s), great guy that won't try to sell you a tuna boat in the desert :) .

Regards,
    Cracker
  14. Cracker

Cracker New Member

I bumped up the EVO power thread for you to read also...